out of date insulin

diabetic2

hi all i have just come back from the chemist and been told my prescription for levemir inolet as been delayed due to the fact that the batch they had was out of date i have checked the batch that i have been injecting and it is also out of date by 4 months from the same chemist what should i do?

diabetic2

sugarless sue said:
Did they also tell you how to get some more insulin?
the chemist are going to deliver me a new supply before they close and you can bet your bottom dollar i will be checking the exp date.

Katharine

Using slightly out of date insulin is preferable to using no insulin. By one year post date it will still be at least 95% potent.

Trinkwasser

To a degree it depends how it's been stored, some people have found no/little difference with outdated insulin while others have found the potency starts to decline quite rapidly. You can probably get away with using it as long as you TEST and make sure your doses are adequate, I suspect expiry dates are set very conservative to ensure patients throw away perfectly good insulin and order more, and to cover the effects of shipping in hot climates.