Overall feeling

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all. So just wanted some opinions. Im T2 on no meds trying diet. I am running highs after meals between 10 and 12. Now I have ben better. Between 6 and 8 post meal

How does our body respond to these changes? I feel lightheaded at times and little on the tired side. Do our bodies take time to adjust to having lower levels?

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep it's a shock. It's called a false hypo, you will feel great when it settles with your bg under control
Drink more, a bit more salt for a week, as your new diet settles too
What diet is it

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Its going low carb pretty much. Trying to cut out sugars and bad carbs. Sometimes i have good days and others not so good.

Is there more info about a false hypo??

Thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you type false hypo into the search box at the top of the page, you will find loads of threads about it. It's incredibly common for those reducing their levels, and is a sort of positive (although it may not feel it, right now). It shows your body is going through an uncomfortable phase to reach somewhere much better. Your body has become used to the higher levels and, by throwing out these symptoms, is asking you to up your blood levels. It's a variation on a smoker needing a cigarette.

As Jack says, drink plenty of water, and try to be patient. If you feel unwell during one of these episodes, then test and record your score. If it is really low, or you can't ride it out, then have a low carb something to eat - perhaps a small piece of cheese, or a few nuts, just to give your system something to work on. A bit like a distraction.

They will stop, in time.

You'll get there. Keep up your good work.

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the responses. So today i was running good numbers. Stayed below 7 all day and went down to 5.4 even. I foolishly had a bowl of cereal and an hour later i was felt like i was having a hot flash. So tested and my level was 11. Very dissapointed in myself at that result.

So my question the hot flash feeling is that because it went up to 11?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the responses. So today i was running good numbers. Stayed below 7 all day and went down to 5.4 even. I foolishly had a bowl of cereal and an hour later i was felt like i was having a hot flash. So tested and my level was 11. Very dissapointed in myself at that result.

So my question the hot flash feeling is that because it went up to 11?

Yes, I would have had the same hot flush reaction.

You may be regretting that bowl of cereal blip - but I'll bet you won't be doing it again soon? ;)

Every f**kup I have made (and there have been MANY) is always a useful bit of info :) - call it a 'learning curve'!

Anyway, the fun bit is in planning what you are going to replace that bowl of cereal with, next time the munchies strike...

How about
  • Berries and yogurt
  • Berries and cream
  • A square or 3 of 70% cocoa chocolate
  • Pork scratchings
  • A handful of nuts
  • Brie puffs
  • Slice of ham or cheese
  • Cup of coffee with cream
  • Low carb hot choc with cream (my current fave)
The possibilities are endless, and so much yummier than boring old cereal!

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

Still trying to do lchf. Not easy. Having some hard days.

Today been better average is about 8. Where as yesterday it was 10 to 12. Now I feel lightheaded all day. Is this because of the flucuation in numbers? I checked during the lightheadedness and its been 8

Any advice please???

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

Still trying to do lchf. Not easy. Having some hard days.

Today been better average is about 8. Where as yesterday it was 10 to 12. Now I feel lightheaded all day. Is this because of the flucuation in numbers? I checked during the lightheadedness and its been 8

Any advice please???

You are doing this already - but try and keep your BG low and steady.
I find that if my BG goes too high one day (and it just needs to be high compared with my usual readings, not necessarily particularly high numbers) then I get weird achy, listless, lightheaded ness the next day. I'm beginning to wonder if I can feel the increased insulin resistance.

Anyway, a nice low carb day has me back in the comfort zone, so just stick with it. It really is worth it. :)

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know im not the only one. Ive also noticed changes overall of not feeling well when my numbers are just slightly high as well

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you eating enough healthy oil fat
Eat normal.protein and the fat makes up for the lost carbs

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes