Overdoing the sugar after a hypo

sofaraway

meeshathecat said:
Am I the only one who quite likes hypo's cause its the only time I get to eat some sugary goodness? Doghnuts ahoy ha ha ha

I find that I don't enjoy what i eat when hypo, have to eat it too quickly and drink too much with it. If I wanted a donut I'd eat one and bolus for it.

l0vaduck

miss e j said:
Noone seems to have mentioned the effect of the liver reacting to the hypo with a shot of glycogen which will make the BG go up very high - on top of whatever you take to treat the hypo. Shame the liver is so slow to do this, otherwise we wouldn't need glucose tabs at all. I don't know of a way round this - apart from restricting hypo treatment to 15g. But even then , there's always at least a bit of a spike.

I've never been able to get a definite answer on what conditions make this happen - 99% of the time for me it just doesn't. I THINK (for obvious reasons I can't test this theory) that my liver only dumps glucose when I've been very low for a long, long time, ie if I don't wake up in a night time hypo. I have NEVER in 16 years of diabetes had my liver dump glucose due to a hypo during waking hours. I believe this is something that is impaired in type 1s, especially if there is insulin circulating (which there nearly always is). I don't get spikes from treating hypos unless I overdo the glucose.

Trinkwasser

l0vaduck said:
miss e j said:
Noone seems to have mentioned the effect of the liver reacting to the hypo with a shot of glycogen which will make the BG go up very high - on top of whatever you take to treat the hypo. Shame the liver is so slow to do this, otherwise we wouldn't need glucose tabs at all. I don't know of a way round this - apart from restricting hypo treatment to 15g. But even then , there's always at least a bit of a spike.

I've never been able to get a definite answer on what conditions make this happen - 99% of the time for me it just doesn't. I THINK (for obvious reasons I can't test this theory) that my liver only dumps glucose when I've been very low for a long, long time, ie if I don't wake up in a night time hypo. I have NEVER in 16 years of diabetes had my liver dump glucose due to a hypo during waking hours. I believe this is something that is impaired in type 1s, especially if there is insulin circulating (which there nearly always is). I don't get spikes from treating hypos unless I overdo the glucose.

You can have some of mine if you like. Mine tends to be overreactive especially in the morning. I suspect insulin resistance at the receptors may be the problem, taking Alpha Lipoic Acid has had a similar effect to metformin in damping this down.

I've known some Type 1s who can similarly do spectacular liver dumps and others who don't do it at all. No other idea what the common factor might be.