Overnight blood problems

josh1334

Hello,

I have been having this issue for a while and was wondering if anyone could help

Ive been going to bed with a blood of 5.0 and when waking up my bloods spike to 13.0 upwards.
I'm not eating before bed and always take my lantus. Should I try a high dose, I'm already on 30units, twice a day.

Thanks,
Josh

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @josh1334 welcome to the forum. The spike when you wake up sounds like Dawn Phenomenon, its your liver giving you a shot of glucose to get you ready for the day. There are a load of threads on this.....type it in to the Search bar on the top right of the page

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have been having this issue for a while and was wondering if anyone could help

Ive been going to bed with a blood of 5.0 and when waking up my bloods spike to 13.0 upwards.
I'm not eating before bed and always take my lantus. Should I try a high dose, I'm already on 30units, twice a day.

Thanks,
Josh
Hello welcome, you could look at your evening meal, if there is a high fat content, it does slow down carb adsorption which results in a higher blood reading much later, so your lantus if it's the correct dose will drag that high until morning. Or dawn phenomenon where your liver does it sugar dump can raise your blood readings. Another thing would be do a basal testing to see if your lantus is correct. Lantus doesn't quite last 24 hours according to some people, you could consider another basal insulin when you speak to your team.

josh1334

Hello Guys,

I will look into the Dawn Phenomenon! Thank you!

I inject Lantus every 12hours but might need upping to battle this!

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
I've been battling DP for about 22 mths now. I've changed my insulin,eat a low carb diet and don't eat after 6pm. My readings are 5s going to bed and anything from 10+ in the morning. I wear a Libre sensor and it shows a gradual ride from 3am and a sharp rise as I wake up. It's really frustrating as I then spend all morning trying to get it lower. Did you manage to sort yours out?