Overwhelmed - new T2D diagnosee

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there. Just signing in for the first time. I'm Lucy, 55, in unblemished health till Friday morning two days ago, now have T2D. Brit living in first Egypt and now denmark, three daughters form 12 to 17, life complicated, difficult decisions, no obvious courses of action, now diabetes. I'm struggling - but i've only been diagnosed three days. I know what I want to do - exercise aggressively, eat non-carb and less of it and test, test, test, then as soon as I get my BS down, throw out the drugs I finally came round to taking (Metformin of course, building up to 4/day) and maybe go on the Newcastle diet. I don't know all my figures, but basically around 14-16 mmol/thingey. But it all appears a lot more complicated than that. I'm going to have to learn to eat again. Plust the hospital only gave me enough test strips for three days, and next appt in two weeks ???

Will it be manageable, guys? I know I'm incredibly lucky for it to be T2 not T1. But I feel overwhelmed. Does anyone ever help us (except ourselves)?

Overwhelmed,
Lucy

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Its early days lucy. 14-16 is not too high. When you see the doc next get him to tell you exactly what you results are and also the name of the test.
In the mean time my personal advice would be cut out as much bread, potatoes, rice and pasta as possible. Eat a bit more fat to give you the calories you need. It has worked well for me and even better for some of the others on here.

Reactions: 2 people

naquada

Its a tough thing being diagnosed.. I has abruptly diagnosed at the end of Feb this year... I'm not over weight.. I eat well.. I exercise.. so it was a bit of a shock.. my BG level was about 22-26 when i was spotted... now.. i'm still fairly high (about the 10-12 mark)..

When I was first diagnosed I got his book for my kindle - 'The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: The First Year' which has helped a bit understanding various things...

also regardless of what the diabetic nurse or doctor says... test.. test and test.. it is the only way that you'll learn how things effect your levels... and you'll get lots of help here... !!

Reactions: 5 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Lucy.

Most of us have been there and we're all still wearing the tee shirts.

Try not to feel overwhelmed or despondent; the feeling of shock does wear off quite quickly and you then realise that it's perhaps not the worst that could have happened to you. It'll change your life, yes, but not in a way that you can't manage.

Suggest you do some background reading - the threads on this site are excellent for giving you first-hand experiences and answers to all sorts of questions and if there's something you're concerned about, don't be afraid to ask.

Above all, take it steady - most people try to rush the learning curve and end up overwhelmed by what they feel is the sheer complexity of it all. It is complicated (especially if, like me, you'd only ever been vaguely aware of the condition before being suddenly diagnosed), but it's nothing that you can't get your head around, given a little time and access to a decent source of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Lucy

It is a lot to take in at first. I would recommend, firstly, take a deep breath. Secondly, check out this Swedish doctor's website. It has a list of food that is good for managing your blood glucose levels. It is simple and works for me and quite a few others on here http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lucy,

I am a recently diagnosed type 2 too but I buried my head in the sand for the first couple of months because it is so overwhelming so now slowly trying to find out the best way to cope with the situation. One thing that came up from a type 1 relative was to drink lots of water and exercise...which with me is easier said that done!

Poppy Petal