Overwhelmed

Brie912

Hi, this is going to be another ramble. There are so many things right now that are making me feel overwhelmed, most of it relating to work. So, I've just worked 3 night shifts and 24 hours later I was supposed to go back in for a day shift. When I woke up this morning, I felt terrible, exhausted and my head felt out of of it. I didn't trust myself to drive in like that and I knew if I went in I'd be no use to anyone and I'd make myself ill for later in the week and I've been given a crazy shift pattern this week. I don't think it was anything to do with diabetes, just not having enough time to recover from night shifts. But my manager called me up and asked if I was ok, which seems nice, but I felt like she was really asking if it was my diabetes and we're going to have a conversation when I get back tomorrow. Considering she didn't call at all when I had 4 days off 2 months ago for a stomach bug, it's just making me nervous. I have anxiety anyway and right now it's a bit shaky. I don't want to have a conversation with my boss, I don't want her to try and make me feel guilty, in the past she's been quite harsh and I don't feel like talking to her about my diabetes, which is still new and I've barely told anyone about.

Also, my blood sugar has been above 7 for the last 24 hours and I'm not sure why. It could be because I'm not eating much and my liver is releasing sugar. I haven't eaten for 14 hours (because I've been sleeping) and the last thing I ate was watermelon, onion rings and cheese (it was the only thing I could think of at midnight). The last few days I've had 2 slices of rye bread because the dietitian I spoke to recommended it. I'm thinking it's not a great idea for low carb. And when I was hungry on the night shift and couldn't get a snack, I had some of the small cake slices they keep at work. But that was over 24 hours ago.

Also, when I found out about the diabetes, they also said my liver function tests were off. I'm having another blood test in a few days. I don't know if it's diabetes related, or if it could be fatty liver disease or something. And I'm finding that I'm bruising really easily, which is one of the things the nurse asked about. Any ideas what that is?

Sorry, rant over. I'm just so fed up with everything. Urrgghh diabetes.

HannahL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,

I am going through the exact same thing at the moment! I’ve recently been diagnosed T1 and the reason for them finding this out was because of my liver function tests being abnormally high, they said that this could be to do with fatty liver but also monitoring it as linked to diabetes so could cause complications. Please push to have a scan on your liver if you haven’t had one already as I know it can be worrying not knowing!

I also understand about the work side of things speaking to your boss is daunting when talking about your condition but remember you are in charge of yourself you know your body and anybody would be drained on the hours you are doing!
You are doing well x

Last edited:
Reactions: Brie912

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Urrgghh diabetes" I agree. Sorry you are feeling rough; night shifts are a pain. When I first worked in a hospital lab and passed my exams, got promotion and started doing on call we worked all day, on call all night and then worked the next day; no time off for the night on call. Aaahh, the good old days!

The reason for the bruising could be to do with your liver as several clotting factors are made in the liver so once that is sorted hopefully the bruising will stop.

Hope all goes well with your manager. I think you should tell her about your diabetes as you should be allowed time off for Drs visits etc. It is against the law to discriminate against anyone on health grounds; so long as you can do you job it is not a problem. Good luck.

Brie912

Hiya,

I am going through the exact same thing at the moment! I’ve recently been diagnosed T1 and the reason for them finding this out was because of my liver function tests being abnormally high, they said that this could be to do with fatty liver but also monitoring it as linked to diabetes so could cause complications. Please push to have a scan on your liver if you haven’t had one already as I know it can be worrying not knowing!

I also understand about the work side of things speaking to your boss is daunting when talking about your condition but remember you are in charge of yourself you know your body and anybody would be drained on the hours you are doing!
You are doing well x
Thanks, I'll push for a scan and other tests. Not knowing is horrible. I hope you get some answers and get it all under control.

Brie912

"Urrgghh diabetes" I agree. Sorry you are feeling rough; night shifts are a pain. When I first worked in a hospital lab and passed my exams, got promotion and started doing on call we worked all day, on call all night and then worked the next day; no time off for the night on call. Aaahh, the good old days!

The reason for the bruising could be to do with your liver as several clotting factors are made in the liver so once that is sorted hopefully the bruising will stop.

Hope all goes well with your manager. I think you should tell her about your diabetes as you should be allowed time off for Drs visits etc. It is against the law to discriminate against anyone on health grounds; so long as you can do you job it is not a problem. Good luck.
Blimey, I thought I had it bad with my shift patterns but yours sounds like torture! The liver thing is confusing me and I wish the nurse had told me more about it at the appointment. And I told my manager about my diabetes last week but she was busy and couldn't really talk about it. She'll give me time off for appointments. She wants to talk about my shift patterns and I'm half tempted to ask if I can go part time for a while to focus on my health, but I expect she won't like that. Hopefully occupational health can help. Today is just one of those days when I feel like the job is too much, diabetes is too much and a nice bowl of noodles sounds wonderful! But I'll stick to the cauliflower rice and keep going. Thanks :)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brie912 My on call was many years ago; wouldn't be allowed to do that now. I wasn't called too often after midnight but I do remember one time when I worked all day (longer hours then too) all night and all the next day!!! However, my health was great and I was in my 20s so a lot easier. With emergencies coming in the adrenaline helped!

It might be an idea to go and see occupational health and talk to them and then have a meeting with them and your manager.

Good luck, hope you get things sorted and feel better soon.