Type 1 P.A.D

Suedono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been diagnosed with peripheral artery disease. I have had type 1 diabetes for 43 years. Would like to know if anyone else has this and hiw they manage it.

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Suedono ,

Just saying welcome to the forum.

I don't have PAD myself.
But I'm sure other members with experience of this will be along soon to share what they know. :)

Reactions: Suedono

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Suedono
I've got it.
(I'm a T2 trying to control it with diet so we differ there.)
There's a page here that describes a bit about my problems. http://abargeatlarge.co.uk/articles/the fat bloke/vascular follow up.html
Subsequent to the above I saw my GP yesterday who, at the request of the vascular surgeon, has prescribed me naftidrofuryl which is supposed to dilate blood vessels and a statin to help stabilize plaques (plus a daily aspirin).
I hate taking medication (particularly statins) but feel, in my case, I have little choice. You may be different.
At the end of the day I'm pretty new to it too but please PM me if you wish.

Suedono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi jo

Thanks for your info on your case. You seem to have had a compassionate consultant who explained everything to you. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and all my consultant said you have a blockage here (done drawing of my leg) and offered me a stent or to wait and see how aspirin goes. To be quite honest I didn’t know what to do. To me he didn’t explain anything about the disease. I’ve looked it up online and shocked myself. I have another appointment in 6 months. I’m on statins, blood pressure and now aspirin. Plus my daily injections of insulin. Just hope I can get my head around this.
Sue

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sue
As far as I see the best things you can do apart from taking your meds are exercise and trying to control your blood sugars as best you can.
P.A.D. is certainly not uncommon and hopefully they've found yours in plenty of time to help. There is lots they can do.
Jo

Reactions: Suedono