P45 looming ...

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I have to attend a ' capability ' to work interview in two weeks . I was due an operation which was cancelled when I was diagnosed being T2 . Don't you just love sympathetic employers .

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have to attend a ' capability ' to work interview in two weeks .

Is that ESA related? Is it the DWP interviewing you?

I was due an operation which was cancelled when I was diagnosed being T2

That's not a decision that any doctor would take lightly. Since my Type II diagnosis I've had 2 knee replacements (health insurance, so not an emergency) under general anesthetic as well as a laparotomy (NHS, emergency). There are associated risks with diabetics and surgery especially if blood glucose is poorly controlled, but not a proper reason to cancel all together. Depends on the operation I guess.

Don't you just love sympathetic employers .

Depends on what they're trying to do. Most employers would just go through the 2 verbal warnings, 1 written warning and the bye bye. There again, maybe it's all changed in recent years.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to attend a ' capability ' to work interview in two weeks . I was due an operation which was cancelled when I was diagnosed being T2 . Don't you just love sympathetic employers .

Unfortunately, cancellations due to a diabetes diagnosis is not unheard of. There are rules (not guidelines) governing blood sugar levels where elective surgery is concerned. If the surgery is an emergency and life-saving, then that's different.

If the HbA1c is above a certain level (something like 8.5%, although I haven't checked that figure), the surgeon must'n go ahead, until the numbers are lower. So, @DavidGrahamJones , diabetes is indeed a valid and appropriate reason to cancel elective surgery.

The rationale is that those with poorly controlled diabetes are more at risk of having poorer outcomes.

There is a national piece of work about to start, focusing on improving the surgical outcomes for poorly controlled diabetics, focusing initially on surgeries for cardiovascular conditions and joint replacements. I am on the Steering Board for that study.

It's obviously very unfortunate that your diagnosis came at the time of your proposed surgery Debzz, but the surgeon's hands were likely tied, in terms of deferring it. The best you can do now is to work hard to pull things back into shape as quickly as you can.

As far as your capability meeting is concerned, is this happening because you are no longer able to carry out part or parts of your job? I would happily comment a bit further once I know why the capability review is taking place.

Reactions: Prem51 and AM1874

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Is that ESA related? Is it the DWP interviewing you?

That's not a decision that any doctor would take lightly. Since my Type II diagnosis I've had 2 knee replacements (health insurance, so not an emergency) under general anesthetic as well as a laparotomy (NHS, emergency). There are associated risks with diabetics and surgery especially if blood glucose is poorly controlled, but not a proper reason to cancel all together. Depends on the operation I guess.

Depends on what they're trying to do. Most employers would just go through the 2 verbal warnings, 1 written warning and the bye bye. There again, maybe it's all changed in recent years.
No not DWP my employer- it wouldn't be legal to just sack me David Lol but they can terminate employment through capability- mind you they have done nothing to try and accommodate my problems so it's a bit tricky for them - good I say !

Reactions: Prem51 and AM1874

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So, @DavidGrahamJones , diabetes is indeed a valid and appropriate reason to cancel elective surgery.

That's what I said. I'm drawing a distinction between the words "cancel" and "postpone". My definition of cancel infers never to be done, cancelled. Postpone infers, not done when first arranged but will happen later. So, not a decision taken lightly but a valid and sometimes appropriate reason to "postpone" elective surgery, is postpone a better word than cancel.

Indeed, as my laparotomy was an emergency, even postponement was not an option. It made the job of the anesthetist more difficult and he saw me several times after surgery. They monitored my BG constantly and did what they had to do to keep my BG on the straight and narrow.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Unfortunately, cancellations due to a diabetes diagnosis is not unheard of. There are rules (not guidelines) governing blood sugar levels where elective surgery is concerned. If the surgery is an emergency and life-saving, then that's different.

If the HbA1c is above a certain level (something like 8.5%, although I haven't checked that figure), the surgeon must'n go ahead, until the numbers are lower. So, @DavidGrahamJones , diabetes is indeed a valid and appropriate reason to cancel elective surgery.

The rationale is that those with poorly controlled diabetes are more at risk of having poorer outcomes.

There is a national piece of work about to start, focusing on improving the surgical outcomes for poorly controlled diabetics, focusing initially on surgeries for cardiovascular conditions and joint replacements. I am on the Steering Board for that study.

It's obviously very unfortunate that your diagnosis came at the time of your proposed surgery Debzz, but the surgeon's hands were likely tied, in terms of deferring it. The best you can do now is to work hard to pull things back into shape as quickly as you can.

As far as your capability meeting is concerned, is this happening because you are no longer able to carry out part or parts of your job? I would happily comment a bit further once I know why the capability review is taking place.
Indeed I can't carry on my job due to my condition- and to quote my area manager ' there are no other roles ' - I have consulted my union rep and they are treading on dodgy ground . We shall see what happens .

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
That's what I said. I'm drawing a distinction between the words "cancel" and "postpone". My definition of cancel infers never to be done, cancelled. Postpone infers, not done when first arranged but will happen later. So, not a decision taken lightly but a valid and sometimes appropriate reason to "postpone" elective surgery, is postpone a better word than cancel.

Indeed, as my laparotomy was an emergency, even postponement was not an option. It made the job of the anesthetist more difficult and he saw me several times after surgery. They monitored my BG constantly and did what they had to do to keep my BG on the straight and narrow.
Ok my op is postponed but I've now gone over the allocated waiting time so I have to be referrred again .

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
No not DWP my employer- it wouldn't be legal to just sack me David Lol but they can terminate employment through capability- mind you they have done nothing to try and accommodate my problems so it's a bit tricky for them - good I say !

I'm sorry they're being such so and sos, I'm glad I'm retired. I get the very distinct impression that employers can treat people the way like and I blame Maggy. I wish you all the very best and good luck.

Reactions: Debzz_ and Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Ok my op is postponed but I've now gone over the allocated waiting time so I have to be referrred again .

Misunderstanding.

I was trying to say to Andbreathe that I realised diabetes is a valid reason for not carrying out a surgery. Going over the allocated waiting time and needing another referral is not good, stupid system!

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you in a trade union? Being in a union has its advantages and one of them being free legal advice on things like this. I would say that your employer will have to be very careful indeed when looking to dismiss you, especially if you have been diagnosed with diabetes

You could argue the case that they only went down this route when they found out you had diabetes, which is classed as an 'Unseen Disability' and under the Equality Act you have some protect against discrimination at work. I'd seriously look into this if I were you, even if you have had time off for sickness before.

Good look and fingers crossed for you anyway :)

Reactions: Debzz_ and Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed I can't carry on my job due to my condition- and to quote my area manager ' there are no other roles ' - I have consulted my union rep and they are treading on dodgy ground . We shall see what happens .

The reality is an employer still needs to carry out their business, and staff it accordingly. If you care unable to do your job, then harsh though it may seem, they can take steps to terminate your employment. I am assuming when you say you can't do your job due to your condition I am assuming that the condition you refer to is that which requires surgery, as opposed to diabetes. Even if it is diabetes, your employer just has to be more careful how they go through the various steps.

Are you off work, sick, or are you somehow managing to attend work?

The re-referral seems harsh. What happened when you were diagnosed? Were you bumped back on the waiting list, or removed from the waiting list, pending an improved blood profile?

When are you next due an HbA1c test?

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
The reality is an employer still needs to carry out their business, and staff it accordingly. If you care unable to do your job, then harsh though it may seem, they can take steps to terminate your employment. I am assuming when you say you can't do your job due to your condition I am assuming that the condition you refer to is that which requires surgery, as opposed to diabetes. Even if it is diabetes, your employer just has to be more careful how they go through the various steps.

The re-referral seems harsh. What happened when you were diagnosed? Were you bumped back on the waiting list, or removed from the waiting list, pending an improved blood profile?

I am quite aware of a business needs etc but there have been issues that have not been handled correctly during my absence.
As for the referral- there is a time window given by this health care provider and its just their procedure for any case to be re-referred should the procedure not go ahead .