PAD

Chelseagirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
After a few months suffering increasing pain in my calves when walking, I have been diagnosed with PAD. I am T2 on insulin for 30 years. Due to having a minor heart attack 10 years ago, I am already on all meds possible, so it has been a quick route to surgery. I am being admitted on 31/7 for stenting in right thigh, and then onto waiting list again for left thigh. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had this done? I know it’s minimally invasive, and I will only be in for the day, but I am starting to get the heebie jeebies about it! Thanks.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not had stenting but did get an angiogram recently following a couple of heart attacks. The procedure also put the fear of Gulp up me too, It was actually quite painless and strange, not at all what I had envisaged.

I suffered an allergic reaction to the contrast dye they used during the angiogram, and this caused my kidneys to fail, thankfully only temporarily. It is apparently a common reaction to the contrast dye, so ask if they may be using one and discuss with Consultant if it is required.

Stenting is a common procedure and the teams doing them do it day in and day out, so it is low risk and they know what they are doing, having had loads of practice before doing yours.

I too suffer calf pain when walking and it is a circulation problem of mine that will need addressing sometime.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Chelseagirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I had 5 Angios with my heart, with no adverse effects, but this time, as soon as the contrast went in, my heart started racing and I felt really awful. I think this was a panic attack or the like, and since I will probably have to have 2 more with this op, one before and one after I assume, this is the aspect that is stressing me out the most. I am trying to be grown up about this, but failing at the moment!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I had 5 Angios with my heart, with no adverse effects, but this time, as soon as the contrast went in, my heart started racing and I felt really awful. I think this was a panic attack or the like, and since I will probably have to have 2 more with this op, one before and one after I assume, this is the aspect that is stressing me out the most. I am trying to be grown up about this, but failing at the moment!
The contrast is so they can see the finer capilliaries around the heart to check viability. In my case there was doubt that mine would fire up again if it ever stopped which is a frightening thought to take with you when being put under for a bypass op such as wot I got. Probably not required for stenting where the arteries they navigate will be quite large. Should be fine so long as they keep to the main roads, and drive on the left.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chelseagirl - I'm not able to offer you any personal wisdom on your query, but would think it useful to share your concerns with your medical team, so that they can do whatever they can to avoid a repeat, or it if happens again, to manage it efficiently.

I have dreadful white coat syndrome, which almost caused a question mark over an op a couple of years ago.

The anaesthetist came to see me to talk about it, in the theatre ante-room, so I imparted it was all his fault (white coat syndrome). His response was "best get on with it then. I'll look after you whilst you're asleep."

He dropped by after the op and agreed I was correct, and everything had corrected as soon as I was asleep.

Just talk to them about it, if you can. And very good luck with your stenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonCrox