Type 2 pain killers. raised blood sugars.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi again lovely people. Its been a while! If you can be bothered to read about my latest mini-drama, it's here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/nomoredonuts.271833/
I'm clutching at straws again, but does anyone have any experience of pain-killers raising blood sugar levels? I'm on 2x 30/500 co-codamol plus 400mg ibuprofen. I've had a steady rise from a monthly average of 5.8 to about 6.5 currently with spikes of mid 7's a couple of times a week and I really need something to blame. (I mean really low carb breakfast and lunch and still 6.8 after two hours. It ain't fair!!).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again lovely people. Its been a while! If you can be bothered to read about my latest mini-drama, it's here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/nomoredonuts.271833/
I'm clutching at straws again, but does anyone have any experience of pain-killers raising blood sugar levels? I'm on 2x 30/500 co-codamol plus 400mg ibuprofen. I've had a steady rise from a monthly average of 5.8 to about 6.5 currently with spikes of mid 7's a couple of times a week and I really need something to blame. (I mean really low carb breakfast and lunch and still 6.8 after two hours. It ain't fair!!).

Assuming you are taking the painkillers for pain, the rises could be due to the underlying condition, the pain you are experiencing or the medications you are taking.

Sorry to be so unhelpful, but then it just typifies diabetes!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Not at all unhelpful, @AndBreathe !
My back and leg pain has at times been off the scale - where I'm having to kneel to eat Christmas dinner or to pour a kettle! Pain management is now working better but sugar levels continue to be high(er).
I am also aware of several friends on here who are in so much really severe pain, it makes me embarrassed to even write this, but I feel it is a valid question and look forward to more opinions. Thanks.