Pain on walking

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He there. I'm 5ft 6in and 15st. We have just been given the go ahead for ivf so I need to get fit and lose weight. I bought myself a fitbit to motivate myself. Previously having suffered depression Im very unfit. In fact I never exercised. The past two weeks I've been going walks but after 7/8minutes my ankles and calves burn so badly I have to stop. Does this sound like something that would go away once I build on my fitness? I dislocated my knee 4years ago and never completed my physio at the time as my depression was so bad. I wonder if I walk differently now..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Can I ask what shoes you are using?

There could be a whole range of reasons why you get the burning pain, but for me it was the wrong amount of arch support in my footwear. :)

Very easy to sort out! I just bought some orthotic insoles. But the answer wouldn't be the same for different people and different footwear - because quite a lot of trainers have built in arch support.

Reactions: sjm1308

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd agree that ankles/calves burnng sounds as though you need some better support in your insole especially if you are inclined to be flat footed or walk around in flip flops/Uggs a lot!
However now that you've got such great motivation for getting fitter, why not do something non weight bearing like swimming or cycling? Aqua aerobics could be good fun too...
Acute pain shouldn't be ignored so ask for a physio referral if this shin stuff doesn't clear up.
Also exercise will get you healthier but diet will make the biggest difference so getting that right might need to be your first priority as it will impact your ability to get pregnant. Hope you can keep moving though!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I cannot wear flat shoes. If I do my calves feel like they are burning. I have to wear a heeled shoe..even if the heel is 1/4 inch high,this will stop my calves from hurting. My mother was the same. If I buy trainers I make sure that they are not dead flat otherwise I cannot wear them.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your circulation checked? Calf discomfort could be claudication.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I did yes but my legs are fine. I have always been the same with flat shoes. My calves do not hurt when I walk around indoors with nothing on my feet or wearing flat slippers, just outside. The doc even checked my legs and said that they were fine..In the hospital they put these wire things on my legs to check the blood flow, and all fine.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant, that's reassuring at least. I hope you find the answer soon.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Can I ask what shoes you are using?

There could be a whole range of reasons why you get the burning pain, but for me it was the wrong amount of arch support in my footwear. :)

Very easy to sort out! I just bought some orthotic insoles. But the answer wouldn't be the same for different people and different footwear - because quite a lot of trainers have built in arch support.
Just a pair of sketchers. Definitely going to try the insoles thanks!

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd agree that ankles/calves burnng sounds as though you need some better support in your insole especially if you are inclined to be flat footed or walk around in flip flops/Uggs a lot!
However now that you've got such great motivation for getting fitter, why not do something non weight bearing like swimming or cycling? Aqua aerobics could be good fun too...
Acute pain shouldn't be ignored so ask for a physio referral if this shin stuff doesn't clear up.
Also exercise will get you healthier but diet will make the biggest difference so getting that right might need to be your first priority as it will impact your ability to get pregnant. Hope you can keep moving though!
I live in uggs in the winter and flip flops in the summer! Definitely going to look into a more supportive shoe. My diet is my number one priority and have lost 6lb so far thank you! X

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I recently had that checked but can rule that out. Think I might need a more supportive shoe. Thanks Jo!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in uggs in the winter and flip flops in the summer! Definitely going to look into a more supportive shoe. My diet is my number one priority and have lost 6lb so far thank you! X

I'm an Uggite too. But I slip a pair of orthotic insoles inside.
And as for flipflops, I get the slightly more expensive ones with arch support built in. The only named brand I can think of at the mo is Birkenstock, but there are definitely others.

Comfortable feet (and ankles, calves, knees and back) is soooo important, isn't it?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an Uggite too. But I slip a pair of orthotic insoles inside.
And as for flipflops, I get the slightly more expensive ones with arch support built in. The only named brand I can think of at the mo is Birkenstock, but there are definitely others.

Comfortable feet (and ankles, calves, knees and back) is soooo important, isn't it?
Oh 100% important. Going to head into town soon and treat myself to good quality supportive footwear. Will help me walk further and further

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a 'condition' called 'shin splints', worth a Google to see symptoms as if it's that it'll go, I'd get it in my sporting days in early pre season training, as would a few others.

As the others say, good supportive footwear's a good idea.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The symptoms of shin splints are very similar to what I'm experiencing. I bought orthotic insoles and tried walking today again but same pain and had to stop after just ten minutes.

I do think I've very high arches. Would it be a physio or podiatrist I'd need to see? Have to say I'm very embarrassed to see anyone as my fitness is so poor