Painful cramps and low carbing

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have always been prone to cramps in my legs but I noticed that since starting reducing my carbs last Wednesday, I have had quite painful cramps like everyday. Does anyone know if there could be some relation between the two.

Thanks alot
Clay

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
How low-carb? It could be down to a sodium deficiancy. That 4 or 5lbs that you lose at the start of a new diet is down to water loss from your liver, taking lots of salt with it. Stephen Phinney revcomends increasing your salt intake on low-carb diet by drinking a simple bouillon every day...
http://holdthetoast.com/content/increas ... ium-intake

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Clay,

I notice you take Losarten for blood pressure, it might be worth discussing the painful cramps with your gp as it is listed as one of the drugs side-effects.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Well, if you have high blood pressure you need to be careful about your salt intake, so disregard my advice.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the advice.

I have been taking Losarten for a few years now. I was more baffled by the frequecy this last week. If it continues I shall ask the doctor.

I want to make an appointment to have my HBA1C and other tests (as i have not had one in about a year), and i want to mention the low carb but I am a bit hesitant especially since the impression I am getting is that most doctors dont like the idea. If I mention the cramps then I might be told that this is the cause....hmmmmmm :think: