Painful joints

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi not been on here for ages ..type 1 for about 10 years and still learning..recently started experiencing extremely painful joints I.e.ankles, knees, wrists etc..so painful it wakes me up at night ..taking paracetamol helps for a short while but would prefer not to take them ..has anybody experienced similar or do you think it may not be related to diabetes.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi not been on here for ages ..type 1 for about 10 years and still learning..recently started experiencing extremely painful joints I.e.ankles, knees, wrists etc..so painful it wakes me up at night ..taking paracetamol helps for a short while but would prefer not to take them ..has anybody experienced similar or do you think it may not be related to diabetes.

Yes I did experience something similar. For myself the pains went away when I gave up using products with aspartame in. Especially artificial sweeteners for use in tea and coffee etc.

Tried a couple of times to reintroduce those products and the pains came back.

Of course the underlying reasons for your pains may be something entirely different. Have you had tests for inflammatory markers - (arthritis))

Reactions: powerley

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No not had any tests but I do drink a fair amount of diet pop..so maybe I could cut that out and see ...thank you for the suggestion

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No not had any tests but I do drink a fair amount of diet pop..so maybe I could cut that out and see ...thank you for the suggestion

Just a suggestion, if you like cola, Sainsbury's own brand cola's are made with sucralose and don't seem to affect me the same way.

Reactions: powerley

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will try that instead ..well worth a try as I am not getting a decent nights sleep..only about 3 hours a night

mickrio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am suffering from a frozen shoulder meds not helping I am also only getting tree hours a night then I fall asleep during day.Tried to get appoimtment at physio but it is closed down till this dam virus has gone .Starting to feel a bit fed up but I will get thru it hope you all are well and stay virus free

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am suffering from a frozen shoulder meds not helping I am also only getting tree hours a night then I fall asleep during day.Tried to get appoimtment at physio but it is closed down till this dam virus has gone .Starting to feel a bit fed up but I will get thru it hope you all are well and stay virus free

There are quite a few 'physio' type videos on Youtube for frozen shoulder, showing exersises that you can do at home.

But don't do yourself any damage.

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just a suggestion, if you like cola, Sainsbury's own brand cola's are made with sucralose and don't seem to affect me the same way.

fantastic advice ..reduced the amount of fizzy pop and the pains have eased a lot...so many thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fantastic advice ..reduced the amount of fizzy pop and the pains have eased a lot...so many thanks

No worries - glad it turned out to be a simple solution. Let's hope it's not a temporary fix.

Might still be worth getting blood tests done at some point ??