Pains in my hands and feet

magicaldebs

I had a spell during the summer of high BGs, my meds were increased but didn't really bring them down. I noticed that I had pain in my hands and feet that seemed to appear in relation to high BGs, but my GP said there was no connection. He carried out tests for Rheumatoid Arthrites which were negative so said it must be Osteoarthrites. I found the low carb diet and my BGs have come down, they now hover between 4-6. The pain in my hands and feet went as well.
The past couple of days I have had a virus. Despite not eating for a day or so my BGs are up and the pain in my hands and feet are back.
I think that there must be a connection. Any advice?

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Hi,

its been the same for me, had terrible pains in hands, hips, feet and knees for a very long time, reduced my weight and blood sugars and a couple of months ago all the pain dissappeared and hasnt returned. Doc said it could be arthritis but tests were negative so i reccon it was to do with high blood sugars.
The virus could have increased your blood sugars so lets hope when you feel better the problem will go away. I would just continue the low carb diet and hope it works.

Andy

magicaldebs

Hi Andy
Thanks for the reply. Yes I think the rise in my BG must be because of the virus, it's amazing how much affect it has.
I'm sorry to hear that you have the painful joints too, but it's interesting to hear the I'm not the only one. It is neuropathy do you think?
Debs

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pain in my hands is three layered:

[1] a general pain that is there all the time: not in the wrists at all but mainly in the fingers; this has been eased by the use of Ibuprofen gel and the recommendation of the consultant;

[2] a greater pain that arises through usage, e.g. gardening, typing, packing things in supermarkets. This diassapaears with hand rest; and

[3] a tissue/skin problem. The fairs-up from hour to day or from day to day. The pads on my finger tips feel hard and the fingers feel sore.

I was given steroid cream in July 2011 that didn't help at all.

Then I had a blood test that indicated a high Rhumatoid Factor. Then further blood tests indicated that arthritis was most unlikely.

Then tests for Carpal Tunnel were pursued. Nevel got an answer.

After many months, I was tested (unbeknown to me) for diabetes. Those and subsequent tests proved positive.

I have no formal feedback from the NHS, but it seems highly probable now that the hand problems are caused by diabetes. Oddly, I have no foot problems at all.

I now wait to see whether my hand problems improve with Metformin and self-help action.

Thank you, Mothman, for your posting in the other threat. Your experiences are reassuring.

My prime difficulty is that the NHS is like a secret society. I invest my time in tests but never get an answers. They have even lost the results of some tests.