Paleo and Type 2?

MissMac

So.....I've managed to do SOME reading...those who have seen my previous angry, scared posts will get what I am saying! Anyway as ever, I digress......I am really struggling to get my head round the low carb thing, have looked at the diet dr site and quite frankly it seems TOO far away from what I would eat...soooo I started looking at Paleo....quite low carb and aside from a few bits seems about ok? ANY thoughts ANY help? x

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferG

Every type 2 diabetic has varying degrees of carbohydrate intolerance. Everyone has their own unique metabolic fingerprint and requirements. The diet needs to be tailored to your personal needs.

I recommend keeping a journal and recording glucose tests before meals, what you ate for the meal (including number of grams of carbs), and the blood glucose test 2 hours after the meal. It takes a bout 1-2 hours for carbohydrate load to digest and see how it affects sugars.

This is a very useful web page to read on this Test, Review and Adjust process from the http://blodsugar101.com site :

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

A low carbohydrate, high in fat diet, is what ultimately allowed me to control my blood sugars. I had been fighting for years trying to control my blood sugars with a moderate to hi carb, low fat diet -- always failed. That diet did not match my metabolic needs. I am highly carboyhydrate intolerant. What works for me is about 20 to 40 net grams of carbs per day. (About 30 to 60 total grams of carbs per day)

Books I recommend:
The New Atkins for a New You (Doctors Westman/Phinney/Volek)
The Art & Science of Low Carboyhydrate Living (Phinney/Volek)
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung
Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101
Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find LCHF and Lower Carb Paleo/Primal to be very similar - that's the diet I've been following for the past 4 years. I do eat some dairy (mostly cheese and yoghurt), no grains at all, no potatoes, very minimal legumes (though I cheat a bit with peanuts). I try to keep my diet as free of packaged/processed food as possible. About the only starch I eat is very occasional sweet potato and banana. Avoid polyunsaturated fats as much as possible.

If you haven't already found the site, Mark's Daily Apple is a great resource for Paleo/Primal:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz4FQMADHbx

fene48

So.....I've managed to do SOME reading...those who have seen my previous angry, scared posts will get what I am saying! Anyway as ever, I digress......I am really struggling to get my head round the low carb thing, have looked at the diet dr site and quite frankly it seems TOO far away from what I would eat...soooo I started looking at Paleo....quite low carb and aside from a few bits seems about ok? ANY thoughts ANY help? x
Hi
It seems to me that its possible to get a bit too tied up with a particular diet. I just wonder if you have established what is your personal carb tolerance. You can also consider what types of carbs you eat, what the GI value is. Would you get a balanced diet by following the paleo strictures? What impact would it have on your lipid profile etc.
I have to live with a fairly modest carb level (80g/day) but manage quiet nicely by fine tuning things on a mediterranean style eating. It took a bit of finger pricking and experimentation, but I now have something that I can live with and still enjoy food.
You might want to visit www.gisymbol.com and also have a look at their July 16 newsletter (two informative articles by Dr alan Barclay and Prof Jennie Brand - Miller).
Its not necessary to worship at the altar of Paleo, Atkins or LCHF - you can be multi denominational. It just takes time, research and experimentation and a bit of fiddling. If you don't want to mess around then perhaps Dr Micheal Mosley's recently published "Blood Sugar Diet" may be your thing.
In any case, best wishes for a successful and maintainable 'eating behavior modification plan' (aka "diet').

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Missmac - Can I ask you, fairly specifically, which elements do you feel are too far away from what you would eat? Knowing that could help with tailored, useful responses.

MissMac

@AndBreathe ....well before all this I was not eating as much meat, not that I have ever eaten that much but when I do it is the very occasional bacon, beef or chicken breast only...I cannot stand pork and not overly keen on lamb. I feel sick if I eat too much cheese and can only have cheddars or soft cheeses. Unfortunately a lot of green veg really upsets my GI tract. Ummm the rest would be trial and error...aside from anything like goat's cheese as I am actually allergic to that!!!
I've borrowed a meter and am currently exhibiting all the signs of a hypo, have not eaten much today to be fair really but just checked my blood sugars and it's still 11.7 so how the hell am I showing all these signs without actually being hypo??? Don't understand at all, glad to have the Dr's tomorrow.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MissMac, it could well be because you may have been actually reading higher than that for some time, and your body is giving you "feeeeeeeeeeed meeeeeeeeee" signs. It happens to a fair proportion of people, when they start adjusting things.

What did you do when you felt like this? Did you eat, drink or whatever to make the feelings go away?

Lets of veggies do low carb, so there are plenty of options open to you, once you start to really lift the lid on these things. When you say lots of green veg affects your digestive system, what does that really mean. Again, I'm trying to respond to what you are asking, as oppose to jumping to my own conclusions and telling you something else.

(I do lots of questions. :) )

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@MissMac I hope you get good advice / discussion with the GP, THEN put it into context with what you have discovered in here - and hopefully elsewhere????
I am still very much learning, and for me the jury is still very much out on a number of things, monitoring / LCHF etc. All I have done so far is embarked on what I call the 'no s**t' way of life which is ..... don't eat any s**t, stop drinking s**t (mainly talking about booze here) and do s**t loads of 'Phys' ...... In this there are all the elements we all know we should be doing! ...... So far so good for me!

P.s fully understand if it gets deleted for expletives!

MissMac

@Heretic1 ...greens...well this is a little bit of too much info. but I suffer IBS and have done for years and greens...like brocolli in particular (which I actually like) really set it off badly :( As for how I was feeling.....aside from super hungry...I was lightheaded, dizzy, weak and proper shaking...started to feel the "sweats" that I have often suffered from kick in...I grabbed some ryvita things with some cream cheese just to hopefully put an end to it,,it has. This morning the same happened to the point I got a bit confused and actually forgot to clean my teeth before work....ate a banana and it eased off again. I am just so beyond confused! xxx

MissMac

@Heretic1 ...greens...well this is a little bit of too much info. but I suffer IBS and have done for years and greens...like brocolli in particular (which I actually like) really set it off badly :( As for how I was feeling.....aside from super hungry...I was lightheaded, dizzy, weak and proper shaking...started to feel the "sweats" that I have often suffered from kick in...I grabbed some ryvita things with some cream cheese just to hopefully put an end to it,,it has. This morning the same happened to the point I got a bit confused and actually forgot to clean my teeth before work....ate a banana and it eased off again. I am just so beyond confused! xxx
Sorry...got confused again....it was @AndBreathe who asked about the greens!!!!! Sorry guys :(

MissMac

@AndBreathe ...admittedly I am not a fan of the veg but hey ho.....probably not exhaustive my little list but here goes....I'm all good with peas and carrots, love corn, kale, onion, cherry tom's (though we know they are fruit let's just role with it...you'd not put them in a fruit salad for sure te he). Oh gosh I am trying to think of some more but my food knowledge is so lacking...you can imagine why I am struggling!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe ...admittedly I am not a fan of the veg but hey ho.....probably not exhaustive my little list but here goes....I'm all good with peas and carrots, love corn, kale, onion, cherry tom's (though we know they are fruit let's just role with it...you'd not put them in a fruit salad for sure te he). Oh gosh I am trying to think of some more but my food knowledge is so lacking...you can imagine why I am struggling!

Initially, corn is often a bit of an issue, and for some cooked carrots are a bit much, but raw they're fine.

How about cabbage, spinach, brocolli, cauliflower, mushrooms? Lettuce and other salady things?

Where you were this time last week, what would you have been having for your evening meal?

MissMac

@AndBreathe ooo I forgot about some of those! See! My head is not working properly. Spinach I love and mushrooms are fine...cauli ONLY if I am forced but did find some frozen ones that were quite sweet and they were do-able!! As for evening meal....again really variable..sometimes didn't bother at all, others it was toast, pizza but we were getting better...decent meat from the local farm so if I was in a "could stomach met" mood we'd have sausage peas and mash or something....I can see it's all carb loaded don't worry about that. As I think I originally said, I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth, biscuits my downfall...but I love cake (man that sounds SO cliche) and just generally sweet stuff......as I am sure I said breakfast is a massive problem as I cannot stand anything too flavoured first thing...was thinking of making up some of the low carb pancakes and waffles and freezing so have them there as and when but dunno how that's going to work out. I am just PRAYING the GP tomorrow is going to be more up to date than telling me to eat complex carbs as I do want to break away from them, though alas the lack of info. I could stand reading means when we went shopping yesterday there were wholemeal things put in. But hey! It's still an improvement...not eaten any yet anyway!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe ooo I forgot about some of those! See! My head is not working properly. Spinach I love and mushrooms are fine...cauli ONLY if I am forced but did find some frozen ones that were quite sweet and they were do-able!! As for evening meal....again really variable..sometimes didn't bother at all, others it was toast, pizza but we were getting better...decent meat from the local farm so if I was in a "could stomach met" mood we'd have sausage peas and mash or something....I can see it's all carb loaded don't worry about that. As I think I originally said, I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth, biscuits my downfall...but I love cake (man that sounds SO cliche) and just generally sweet stuff......as I am sure I said breakfast is a massive problem as I cannot stand anything too flavoured first thing...was thinking of making up some of the low carb pancakes and waffles and freezing so have them there as and when but dunno how that's going to work out. I am just PRAYING the GP tomorrow is going to be more up to date than telling me to eat complex carbs as I do want to break away from them, though alas the lack of info. I could stand reading means when we went shopping yesterday there were wholemeal things put in. But hey! It's still an improvement...not eaten any yet anyway!

MissMac - You have loads and loads to go at there. Decent quality sausages (as you mention them) need not be carb-laden. I make burger, without carbs. Mash can be made from Cauliflower or Celeriac, and with the addition of butter and/or cream, and/or cheese it is delicious, so there's your sausage and mash. Cauli mash isn't exactly like potato, as it doesn't have any starchy edge, so think of these things as being similar, rather than identical.

Cauliflower cheese, depending upon how small you break the florets, can be just like Mac and Cheese. I like this particularly with crispy bacon through it.

Make a few scribbled notes on a notepad of the things you like to eat and just Google, "low carb cottage pie". You would be astonished what you find.

I have a few website I use, some of my favourites being:
www.ditchethecarbs.com
ibreatheimhungry.com
sugarfreemom.com

Via those sites, and others folks will recommend, you'll find loads to eat. Foodoodgawker.com, and filter by "Low Carb" also returns loads.

Please concentrate on finding what you can have, and like, rather than focus on what you may be giving up for now.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MissMac , sounds like you're doing great!

Here's an example of what sorts of low carb stuff we eat here at Chateau Snapsy. Have got a yummy quiche in the oven - eggs, grated cheddar, bit of full fat Philly, some reblochon cheese, cooked onions, peppers and a leftover slice of smoked ham, sliced tomato on top - just in a greased cake tin, no pastry. We're having it hot with some courgettes - plus I've got a massive side of cooked frozen cauli (I have tonnes in the freezer - it's cheap and it's my alternative to pasta, rice and potatoes) - husband will have some new potatoes and carrots and peas with his.

Strawbs and sugar free jelly for pudding. Would be drenching that in cream had I not used it all up in last night's low carb chocolate mousse - darn it! :banghead:

Can't wait for teatime - now if the husband would just come HOME from work.......!

:p

File_000.jpeg

Reactions: 5 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The quiche is no more...... but mmmmmmmmmhhhhhh we did enjoy it!

@MissMac focusing on stuff you really really like means you will cope ever so well with 'missing' anything you choose to leave out. To be honest pastry is a heck of a faff (in my experience) even on those rare days when I'm trying for domestic goddessry, so it's quite a relief on a long hot this-goddess-ain't-got-a-look-in Monday at work not even have to think about it!

Now if that ain't a silver lining I don't know what is...

Hugs!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MissMac, I just wanted to let you know that I've been following your threads over the weekend and have really found them inspirational. You started off so down and emotional and within 2 days you've turned around, you're positive and you've even got humour in your posts now.
I was diagnosed 5 years ago and like you was totally depressed but the fear factor spurred me on. I followed lchf, lost a few stones and doctor was delighted with how much I'd reduced my bg level. However, 5 years on and I'm back to square one with my head in the sand and eating what I want with bg on the increase. But i want to thank you for giving me the inspiration to do it again and get back on track.
Good luck with your Dr appointment tomorrow but I'm sure it will all go well. You've started on the right track and you sound such a positive person that I've no doubt you'll soon get the hang of it. Just don't do as I did and fall off the wagon!

Sent from my D2403 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
burgers with oopsie bread bun, mushrooms fried in butter, all kinds of low carb egg casseroles online perfect cold for breakfast, cauliflower steamed and mixed with heavy cream and parmesan cheese and maybe a bit of bacon, deviled eggs, caesar salad sans croutons, chef salad, avocado or guacamole, olives, stuffed mushroom caps, smoked salmon (watch the sugar), macadamias and brazil nuts. MMMMMMM now I am making myself hungry lol