Pancreatitis

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Eight years ago long before I became diabetic I had a lot of gallstones and needed to have my gallbladder out. I was admitted to hospital initially because my gp was concerned about me. I was in for a couple of days, had various scans etc and told that I would need surgery but I had to wait 6 weeks for the inflammation to decrease. Just before the surgery date I was in complete agony and admitted to hospital with Pancreatitis caused by the problem gallbladder. Again I had to wait for the Pancreatitis to go before they could operate. My question is could the Pancreatitis have made it more likely that I would develop diabetes?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Eight years ago long before I became diabetic I had a lot of gallstones and needed to have my gallbladder out. I was admitted to hospital initially because my gp was concerned about me. I was in for a couple of days, had various scans etc and told that I would need surgery but I had to wait 6 weeks for the inflammation to decrease. Just before the surgery date I was in complete agony and admitted to hospital with Pancreatitis caused by the problem gallbladder. Again I had to wait for the Pancreatitis to go before they could operate. My question is could the Pancreatitis have made it more likely that I would develop diabetes?
I think yes.
Any steroids in your care pre-op?

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No I started taking steroids for polymyalgia in 2015. Within days my bs had gone through the roof and after trying various drugs I had to start using insulin. Steroids were the worst thing I've ever taken.
My previous dn said that because I had had an overactive thyroid which is an endocrine condition it made it more likely that I would develop another endocrine condition ie diabetes. It doesn't help that several members of my family were also diabetic. My uncle who had previously had heart surgery years before died whilst in a diabetic coma.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No I started taking steroids for polymyalgia in 2015. Within days my bs had gone through the roof and after trying various drugs I had to start using insulin. Steroids were the worst thing I've ever taken.
My previous dn said that because I had had an overactive thyroid which is an endocrine condition it made it more likely that I would develop another endocrine condition ie diabetes. It doesn't help that several members of my family were also diabetic. My uncle who had previously had heart surgery years before died whilst in a diabetic coma.
You are different to your uncle so just remember that.
My grandmother on fathers side died in early 30s of heart failure but no diabetes I'm aware of in the family.
I have under active thyroid. When I had an attack of bell's palsy I was put on a week worth of steroids so I could carry on working away from home. Still diabetes all undiagnosed as I wasn't advised to return to GP from Nottingham a&e. I finished steroids and just continued working all over the UK. I got married not long after that and was the fittest I have ever been. Jogged around Greenwich park on top of daily gym and swims. I was still 17st then as unbeknown I was still eating wholegrain carbs and brown rice. Seeded bread too. Hubby was an ex-professional footballer so we were very very fit. I was still very very heavy, no matter what I did or eat. At times I ate like a mouse but no weight loss.
I resorted to a diet doctor in Sidcup, Kent for tablets to get to 15.5st for IVF. I was using metformin too. Professor at St.Thomas's stopped my metformin (for pcos)and my ivf failed. Money wasted as I had to part finance on the NHS due to heavy weight.

I've never suffered with pancreatitis but have had a fatty liver for over 10yrs. Luckily no cirrhosis.
I've never been a regular alcohol drinker and I'm tea totally these days due to tramadol tablets.
I think alcohol does have a place in liver health but not an excessive one. I'm unsure about pancreatitis. I think @Cumberland has pancreatitis and has insulin therapy because of it too. Maybe he can answer one or more of your pancreatitis queries?

You stay happy. Happiness can make a huge difference in anyone's medical care. Believe me. ;)

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreatitis was due to the inflamed gallbladder. I rarely drink and didn't eat a lot but couldn't shift the weight. My grown up kids kept saying remember carbs are not your friend but I thought I don't eat much so I may as well eat the things I like which were mainly bread and potatoes. I read the blood sugar diet book in one day and have now changed my attitude and diet and now feel like a different person. My blood sugar levels are around 5.5 to 6 and I have reduced my insulin by 20 units a day. I am 58 and have 2 grandsons who I want to see grow up.