Parkrun

S

Samblease73

I'm currently doing the NHS couch to 5k app and Park Run is my finish line in 2 weeks. Its gone from not being able to run for more than a minute to this week running for 28 minutes none stop. Cant wait to do Park Run.

couple of questions for runners though do you eat before running or after ?
8 weeks in and I got my 1st blister today and I'm alittle worried as I was warned in December when I was diagonosed look after your feet , watch you don't get them cut or hurt.

I've also got really sore shins , interested in knowing if these types of thing are normal for diabetic runners and tips to avoid it.
Blisters and sore shins are quite normal for any runner - diabetic or not :wacky:

Rubbing Vaseline onto areas prone to blistering should help prevent bad blisters. Just make sure that you check your feet regularly & keep them well maintained - clean, dry, moisturised!! Also ensure that you check your shoes - worn out inners, grit, stuff like that can really cause problems.

As for the sore shins - if you are new to running it may be a sign that you are increasing your weekly mileage faster than your body is able to cope - try tapering for a week or two (reducing the mileage by 20%), hopefully things will improve. Also, make sure you stretch after every run.

As for eating - I eat before AND after! Seriously, it depends on how far you are running - for a parkrun you may find that eating afterwards is better. I can't face food too early in a morning & a good run helps stimulate the appetite. However, if you are feeling a little low on energy, a snack before running may help, also not a good idea to exercise for more than 30 minutes or so with nothing in the tank so to speak...

Good luck with the running :)

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, I'm running for around 30 minutes this week and If I run after breakfast and before work I can smash it, no problems I'm tired but doesn't feel like I'm running though mud. After work though even with a small snack its totally different. I just couldn't imagine how much harder I found it before a main meal. I guess I need to try eating in the evening then going for a run instead of before. Thanks for the tip about the Vaseline, My Nurse did a good job of scaring me on what could happen to my feet and I was kinda worried.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blisters and sore shins are quite normal for any runner - diabetic or not :wacky:
Im not sure if I'd agree with that unless of course your mileage exceeds 50/week. To me, that sounds like improper footwear more than anything.

Buying cheap shoes is a great way to tear up your feet, knees, and back especially if you're a heavier runner like me.

People also don't realize that there are three basic types of running shoes: cushioning, stability control, and motion control. Buying the wrong type can also have significant negative implications.

The sizing of the shoe is extremely important as well. I wear an extra size larger in running shoes to allow for extra room in the toe box. I also buy extra-extra wide shoes because I have Hobbit feet. I can tell you that it makes a HUGE difference. I also tie my shoes using the "runner's lace" method which is extremely helpful for keeping your heel from moving too much (and avoiding blisters).

If price is an issue, I'd just buy past year shoe models. Most running shoe brands (asics, new balance, brooks, mizuno, etc) keep the same models in their lineup but redesign the looks of the shoe each year. For example, I have two pairs the Mizuno Wave Inspire 10 model (great for heavier runners). They retail for $135usd, but I paid $30 and $45 for each pair (I bought one pair and then the other got even cheaper the next week).

Long story short, I don't have issues with blisters or shin pain....except when I wear my trail shoes which have very little support and cushioning. Good shoes and working on your running form are the two most important things for me, personally.

Reactions: 2 people

ZedS59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
housework
Hi, i hope you dont mind me starting a thread about the Parkrun, i love this event, its held every saturday at 9am and its completely free, its a 5k race/run/jog/walk it is held all around the country and on every continent (over 300 in the uk i think), its designed to encourage excercise, there are good folks organising it and it is marshalled by volunteers, they record your times if your interested and publish them so you can plot your times and progress, so if your able it would be great to go along and have a go, there are a complete range of levels from fantastic runners to slow plodders (me) everyone is friendly and there is no pressure from anyone regardless of your fitness level, in my parkrun (nonsuch park) there are usually between 300-400 people taking part each week so its easy to hide in the crowd if your nervous, you can also just walk or even just walk half the distance, the point isnt to win gold medals its just a nice way to get out the house on a saturday morning and get some exercise, if your able to exercise it helps bgs so get yourself to the website www.parkrun.org.uk have a look and see what you think and maybe sign up, its completely free & non profit making, best of luck if you fancy giving it a go, i know a few here are already signed up so we can post our progress here if we wish :)

Andy
I have just been onto the parkrun website but can't find a list of where these events are held - please tell me where to look

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been onto the parkrun website but can't find a list of where these events are held - please tell me where to look
I'm afraid Andy12345 isn't around anymore to answer your question, so I'll try. I had a look and the map isn't loading, maybe it will be back in a day or two. If you look at the results tab it has an alphabetical list of the events on the left, not as good as looking on a map but it will give you some idea of where they are held. Hope this helps. :)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bonus - free Caramel chocolate egg with excellent coffee from small van that attends Bradford parkrun, Lister Park, every week. Egg was only on Easter Saturday, but my first run there. May go back :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've also got really sore shins , interested in knowing if these types of thing are normal for diabetic runners and tips to avoid it.
Sadly blisters and sore shins are common complaints when running, regardless of whether you are diabetic or not. Blisters a sign that either your shoes are not fitting correctly or they are not fastened correctly. Sore shins is very common, and some approaches to dealing with them are listed here: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/get-rid-of-shin-pain-with-helpcom

S

Samblease73

Last edited:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope everyone who is already registered as a parkrunner will run at a parkrun tomorrow. And anyone new to parkrun, today is the perfect day to register online and print your bar code, ready to run tomorrow morning (or Sunday is another option for children at junior parkruns). www.parkrun.org.uk
I reckon tomorrow could break records for participation in UK parkruns :)

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eating fish , only eat Cod!
Hi all, just got my self back in the gym and as I work shifts I do it on my days off.
What I want to do is try out park running, any tips for a first timer, i am a type 2 diagnosed in March this year.

I don't normally do long distance very well but am keen to try and get in the grove and do two runs a month ( as that's all I get off lol).
I have bought a decent pair of trainers or think I have... Karrimor Duma 2 men's running shoes but do I need anything else?
The parkrun I'm looking at is 3.1 miles and is a combination of path, grass, gravel and hills.
Cheers

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
parkrun website recommends http://www.runnersmedicalresource.com/en/ There are also lots of coach to 5k recommended training programmes.
Key thing with trainers is how they fit your feet.
Many people don't run the entire 5km the first time they do a parkrun - alternating running / jogging / walking is pefectly acceptable. So, I'd suggest turning up next week with your bar code and getting your first time recorded.

Jotter84

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eating fish , only eat Cod!
parkrun website recommends http://www.runnersmedicalresource.com/en/ There are also lots of coach to 5k recommended training programmes.
Key thing with trainers is how they fit your feet.
Many people don't run the entire 5km the first time they do a parkrun - alternating running / jogging / walking is pefectly acceptable. So, I'd suggest turning up next week with your bar code and getting your first time recorded.
Thank you will do.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love Parkrun. PB of 76% recently. 20mins 20 seconds at age 56. I have got faster and faster over the last 20 years with T1DM. Don't let anyone tell you diabetes is all downhill as you get older.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping to do my first parkrun next Saturday. Am writing this on here so as to keep myself accountable...!

There will be some walking happening, yes siree. Haven't yet run that far without walking, and even that's on a treadmill and not on a trail route! Ulp.

:p

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people walk at least part of their first few parkruns, especially if the route involves hills.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll definitely be doing some walking - I haven't ever run hills before but am in an area rich in hills for the next week, and the parkrun is hilly and local to where I am at the moment - so hmmmmmmm, better spend the next few days practising some hills!

TBH I'm not sure I'm not going to chicken out.........!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Walking some bits is perfectly acceptable. Chickening out is not!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I DID IT!

Your time was 00:36:35.
Congratulations on completing your 1st parkrun today.
You finished in 118th place and were the 33rd female out of a field of 141 parkrunners and you came 6th in your age category.
Well done on your first run. We have set this as your PB.
You achieved an age-graded score of 42.05%.

Loved every moment. Ran the first 3k without either stopping or walking.

SO PROUD.

:happy: