Part Time Job

teen-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 17 and I have an interview for my first part time job at Waitrose on Thursday and I wondering at what point should I tell them I'm diabetic. I didn't mention anything on the application form, but should I tell them at interview so I can be upfront and explain how it won't affect anything, also I wear a pump, which will be spotted eventually. Thanks

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's my impression that Waitrose is a very responsible employer, so I'd hope that they would be fine with staff being diabetic. They do need to know. Hopefully someone will be along soon who is T1 and has experience of this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mention it only if they ask about your health, they'll be ample opportunity to mention diabetes if you get through to the next stage of the application process.

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
Thats what I do,m mention it at the interview or the first day on the job. I don't like ticking "disability" or whatever on the application form. Hope you get it!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to work it into a conversation, whether it's in the interview or after I've started.
For example, I had an interview the other week and one of the questions was about being organised and working under stress. I explained all about my diabetes here and went on to say that you have to be organised and able to function under stress to be a type 1 on a pump. They were impressed by this and it meant that I could answer the question honestly but also educate them a little bit about my daily life on a pump at the same time.

I got the job.

Fingers crossed for you.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teen-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to everyone that replied the interview was actually 2 weeks ago an I start the job on Friday. I mentioned it at the interview ad they didn't really seem to mind, now just have to see how to keep my sugars stable in shifts

Reactions: 5 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats!!!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
Congrats! Aww good job. I had an interview yesterday at boots and had to pick an item to talk about. I picked a glucose meter and explained about it and she asked how I knew so much. Easy way of telling her I had diabetes :p x

Reactions: 5 people