Passing down t1

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes didn’t factor into whether I thought I should have children or not. I don’t think it’s good to make life decisions based on diabetes at all really. It’s something we have to consider, but I prefer to decide what I want to do, and then think about adaptations I’ll need to make to allow for it. I.e. “I want to run a marathon, how will I manage my insulin” rather than “I shouldn’t run a marathon because I’m diabetic”.

I’m not running a marathon anytime soon BTW. But that’s because I don’t want to, not because I have T1.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
How long has u had type 1 and how are u now

I've had it 46 years and am 52.
Developed coeliacs about 10 years ago and had laser treatment on my eyes about 20 years ago but i'm ok I think.
Last hba1c was 6.8 and work and drive.

Hope this helps

Tony

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They say that if only 1 parent is diabetic there is a 25% chance of getting and to be honest how many kids get diabetes when no parent has it. I wouldn't worry about it. Should say I'm female have 2 grown up kids and both are fine. Besides if your kids were to get diagnosed you know what your doing so that's a big difference to those that were the first to get it.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They say that if only 1 parent is diabetic there is a 25% chance of getting and to be honest how many kids get diabetes when no parent has it. I wouldn't worry about it. Should say I'm female have 2 grown up kids and both are fine. Besides if your kids were to get diagnosed you know what your doing so that's a big difference to those that were the first to get it.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
25% is incorrect, way too high. I think I posted earlier but if the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.