Pattern emerging and I can't explain it!

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning!

I have recently changed to levemir and I much prefer it to lantus (due to crashing hypos). I have started to notice a pattern on my libre and blood testing that I can't explain and wondered if anyone could help.

I take 6u levemir at 7.30am and 7.5u at 9.30pm. This seems to work and with work commitments and dawn phenomenon it seems to fit. I have noticed over the past few weeks that if I eat dinner anytime between 5-7.30pm and bolus for it, I get a very steady line with a little bit of a rise and then after 2 hours it's in a good range. However, at 10.30/11pm when I go to bed I can go from 6mmols to 10mmols purely by getting into bed. It's like a spike without a food source. I tested in the night and it's back down to 6mmol after an hour without insulin. What could be causing this? I eat very little carbs and a pretty similar meal most evenings (chicken, broccoli, green beans). I daren't bolus for the 10mmols as it goes down very quickly once I'm in bed.

Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated!

Thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a suggestion try moving your evening basal dose back to 7pm and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: 2 people

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just ignore it if it drops back in an hour. I get a small spike on the libre when I get up which initially looks bad and an hour later has reduced by itself. I suspect there is in reality a small spike but the Libre software simply overestimates it.