Peanut butter

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The tasty ones. For cheese, could be anything from a properly ancient cheddar for nibbling, plasticy red leicester for quick cheese on toast, camembert for lunch while cycling in France, a collection of the seriously nice cheeses the local posh cheese shop does for post dinner cheese and port etc. Peanut butter I'm less particular about and don't eat much of, but I think we get a decent organic crunchy one these days - no sugar, I prefer the slightly rough taste.

Now, with the toast in the cheese on toast, the biscuits or crackers with the cheese and crackers, the baguette with the french lunch, etc, I'll need to consider insulin for all of these - lunch while cycling will need less, port will add extra complication of sending BG up from the immediate sugar, down for the alcohol. The fat in the cheese and peanut butter may slow down carbohydrate absorbtion a bit too - probably depends a lot on the type of cheese, so this is something experience will help with.

Cheese and peanut butter are both high energy foods, so best eaten in moderation for anybody - T1D or not. But that applies to all food - binge eating a 200g bar of dairy milk vs a block of cheese vs a jar of PB aren't great things to do :)

The NE in DAFNE stands for Normal Eating. Count the carbs, inject the insulin, enjoy the food :)

(annoyingly my mouth has started watering at the thought of all that cheese. I shall distract myself with some work...)

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Try and get peanut butter with no palm oil. Palm oil Is a bad fat, I'm told it blocks omega 3.

Am I the only one that has peanut butter on cheese?

Reactions: mike@work
D

Deleted Account

Try and get peanut butter with no palm oil. Palm oil Is a bad fat, I'm told it blocks omega 3.
Good ole radio 4 educated me about palm oil this weekend.
As illustrated by the Iceland Christmas ad, the biggest problem with palm oil is the production of it which has led to deforestation and the homeless orangutan in the ad. However, palm oil is very efficient to farm. The oil palm grows very fast. Therefore, sustainable palm oil is better for the environment than other vegetable oils. Unfortunately, sustainable palm oil is not readily available or labelled.
Cyrus Todiwala (chef of Cafe Spice) was on the program explaining his palm oil journey from complete ignorance to avoidance to using palm oil ghee for lacto-intolerant restaurant guests.

There was no mention of blocking omega 3.

Like you, I go for palm oil free peanut butter. In fact, I buy peanut butter which lists only peanuts on the ingredients: I saw some the other day with added salt and added sugar as well as the palm oil..

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of peanut butter and cheese are best for type 1diabetic.

The one you make yourself ;)

Blend peanuts in a mixer with a fast rotating S-blade, and the peanuts will soon bee of a butter-like texture. The main point with this butter is of course the following:

You need not add any oil, but you can if you wish.
You can mix the peanuts with other, less carby nuts, and get a paste in your taste (getting inspired here :)
I add a lot of Brazil nuts, and some walnuts).
Add some salt, if you wish the butter to last more than a few weeks in the fridge.
And of course it is fully possible to add sugar, sweeteners, chocolate and so on if you wish...

Edited to add:
Eh, almost forgot to comment on the cheese...
Cheese with higher fat content usually have lower carb-content. Need to keep an eye on how much proteins you get though, because big amount of proteins, will probably slowly spike you after more than 2 hours...

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not the palm oil that is bad as it isn't the bad thing is cutting down the forests to plant more palm trees which is bad for the wild life mostly orangutans that is why we are told to avoid it

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Good ole radio 4 educated me about palm oil this weekend.
As illustrated by the Iceland Christmas ad, the biggest problem with palm oil is the production of it which has led to deforestation and the homeless orangutan in the ad. However, palm oil is very efficient to farm. The oil palm grows very fast. Therefore, sustainable palm oil is better for the environment than other vegetable oils. Unfortunately, sustainable palm oil is not readily available or labelled.
Cyrus Todiwala (chef of Cafe Spice) was on the program explaining his palm oil journey from complete ignorance to avoidance to using palm oil ghee for lacto-intolerant restaurant guests.

There was no mention of blocking omega 3.

Like you, I go for palm oil free peanut butter. In fact, I buy peanut butter which lists only peanuts on the ingredients: I saw some the other day with added salt and added sugar as well as the palm oil..
That was it. Knew it was bad somehow. Was my daughter rattling on about it I remember now. Very planet positive young lady.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Not a great lover of peanut butter, but cheese, yes please :happy:

Reactions: mike@work

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d say the peanut butter from the brand Whole Earth, it has no added sugar and everyone in my family loves it.

I used to get that one, but the Morrison’s one is just the same and half the price!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Am I the only one that has peanut butter on cheese?

The 100% peanut ones only have peanuts in. And yes peanut butter and cheese—strange!

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a kid I used to sometimes enjoy peanut butter + marmite + cheese (plastic cheddar back then, not proper stuff)