Peg feed

pms-pms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am peg fed and diabetic am getting low readings allowed yoghurt and custard three times per day have put on four pounds any help?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
That must be very difficult indeed and I've no idea how hard this is for you,sadly I don't know how to advise you but I'll keep 'Bumping' this post up so it will hopefully get seen by someone who can advise.

Best wishes

Paul

saz1902

Hello! Am i right in thinking the peg is a tummy tube thing? Sorry for the naming, just used to calling them that as my daughter has something similar, she is much younger tho. 2. So i wouldnt know much about the having diabetes with it, but if it is the tube you are talking about, is there not a higher energy formula you could try? They keep changing my daughters for different dietary things? Just a thought. Sorry if i have not been very helpful, just idea mashing at the moment. Hope your doing ok appart from that x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pms-pms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, yes it is when tube goes in the stomach. Am diabetic type 2 at the same time inject with pen twice a day! Am seeing dietitian tomorrow so will talk with her.

saz1902

Hello again. Wish you the best of luck tomorrow with the dietitian! As i say, i think there are a few types of different formula. My daughter uses nutricia homeward for her stuff and i have found them a source of info in the past. Just if you get stuck. Again, hope all goes well for you x

pms-pms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I will speak to dietitian. have had different feeds as the first one made me vomit. lucky it was in hospital in front on doctors!! they did something pretty quick!! Hope your daughter is ok too. What happened that she has a peg. I have had one since my op on 25 jan this year for a brain tumour I don't swallow only started with yoghurt and custard back in May. I still have that now! Hope to get back to eating properly.

saz1902

Sorry to hear! Hope you can get back to normal very soon x my daughter was born 15 weeks early and missed learning to feed properly. Trying her with puree foods regulary, but she is not interested. The drs worry her swallow is unsafe, but when she does try food, she copes well.
I think she is just used to not getting hungary as she is just getting regular food through the tube. Will get there in the end. I hope! Thank you for asking :) let me know how it goes with the dietitian? Hope all works out ok! X

pms-pms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
. Hi. Hope your daughter gets the hang of eating soon. It must be hard for you to peg feed. Saw the dietitian today pleased with my diabetic readings and is looking into things for me! Thank you for your help. X

saz1902

So pleased today went well for you! Fingers crossed they can sort it out for you. Hope everything works out well for you :) allways here to chat if you need a rant ect lol :)

twinmumnz

My hubby has a jejunostomy feeding tube and when he was on it 20 hours a day, the basal insulin (glargine) held him at very reasonable/ low BSLs. Even when he ate spasmodically, he didn't need to inject at all. He is now eating regular meals and the need for rapid insulin has increased to "normal" levels. We are hopeful the feeding tube will come out soon.... it has been in since May. Do you have any hope of getting off the PEG?? I so hope so.. tube feeding is not easy.... I do know that continuous tube feeding (even if it's only 12 hours/day) and a good basal insulin dose will keep things in check from the diabetes side of things.