Pen Life Expectancy

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Quick question, does anyone know the useful life expectation of an insulin pen (I don't mean the pre filled ones I mean the ones you put a cartridge in).

I've been using the same pen for ages (obviously changing the cartridge!) and always do a test air shot but I have no idea if it's actually giving me the dose it's supposed to be...

Ta!

Matt

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They have something like a four year life expectancy, and you can test the dosing is correct using the covers that come on the needles when they are in the box. On the Novo nibs, the narrow bit is 20u so you can dial up 20u and if it fills that perfectly, the pen is functioning just fine.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you mean the novopens? Theres an easy way to test if its giving the right dose, but it escapes me at the mo! you dial a certain number of units and shoot that into the outer cap, not the needle protector, and it should fill to a certain point on the cap.

Reactions: staffsmatt

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you mean the novopens? Theres an easy way to test if its giving the right dose, but it escapes me at the mo! you dial a certain number of units and shoot that into the outer cap, not the needle protector, and it should fill to a certain point on the cap.
Mine's a Sonofi Junior star but I would assume that it's the same principle (I use BD microfine pen needle).

How have I been diabetic for 30 years and never knew about that test! I'll have a google and post back if I find the exact numbers.

Thanks both

Matt

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's supposed to fill the "nipple" on the outer plastic cap. Shame to waste 20 U of perfectly good insulin though.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all of the above regarding filling the outer cap. We were advised on my STILE Course (Shropshire 's equivalent to a DAFNE Course) that your pen should be renewed roughly every two years.