Pen or Syringe?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Novopen on the Novorapid and still using a syringe on the Lantus as a legacy of the 45u in one hit I used to take (3ml carts lasting a week seems a bit pointless to me). In the discussion at the clinic on Wednesday next week, I'll be looking for a)Tresiba and b) getting it in a pen, as my amounts are now so much lower. If they push for Levemir, then I'll still want additional pens!

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Hello everyone, I want to know what you use and your opinions.
If anyone's interested, I use Lantus pen once a day and NovoRapid 3 times a day.

I'm on the Lantus Solostar (pen) 100 units at bedtime and Humalog (quickipen) with meals sliding scale .. i find the pens cheaper since it costs me just over 600 a month just for the solostar and would cost me almost twice that for the vile version of it, the humalog its a bit cheaper by not by much (about 25 bucks difference between pen n viles).

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They were made by Gillett (razors) I still have one somewhere. The plastic luer connector was orange

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Waah, I feel so old. My first needles were all metal (and we boiled them every night in a stainless steel butter dish on the stove). They were like pokers. No wonder I've got lousy injection sites.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For all we moan about the NHS in this country we are bloody lucky to have it.
How much it would cost us otherwise for care and treatment doesn't bare thinking about (in my opinion anyway)

My sister was diagnosed Type 1 at 33 while living in France a few years ago. They put her straight on a pump and she's has good control from the get-go. They have a really good "mixed" system. You pay a proportion of the cost of treatment but claim it back. You choose your own doctor.

I spent forty-plus years under the NHS (Type 1) before moving to Turkey, which has the same system as France. I do go to a private hospital but my employers pay 80%. My treatment and my diabetic control has improved massively.

On the expenses, the pharmaceutical companies are massively overcharging the NHS. Why are BS strips so expensive that they have to be rationed in the UK, when they cost about a fifth of the price in Turkey, even WITHOUT a prescription? The NHS is creaky and criminally inefficient. It is bleeding money. I agree with "free" healthcare (we pay our taxes, etc, etc). But I think it needs to be organized more like France. Incidentally, a French-type system would immediately eliminate "health tourism", which is costing billions per year. How many doctors would that pay for?