Perfect way to reduce post-prandial spike :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Too bad I won't feel like doing this twice a day :p
20180421_151054_resized.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Looks like a great de stressing place to be, too. Btw did the dogs get wet?

Reactions: Antje77

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh, I'm envious! Natural pools are fab (lots of envy-making pics online) but that's a canal, @Antje77? The dogs look like they are about to ambush you....! Wild swimming gives a huge endorphin rush, if the water doesn't resemble the Antarctic that is - how warm was the water?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Antje77 , I can't figure out whether the dogs racing along the jetty are thinking, "she's drowning, save her, save her", or, "hmm, nice cool pool, let's jump in too!" Probably the latter!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you all look closely at the photo you can see wet doggy paw prints on the jetty, and the white doggie at the back looks a bit soggy to me. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
did the dogs get wet?
two of the seven (3 of mine, 2 of a friend I was with and 2 having a sleepover for a couple of days at my place) swam, 4 got wet up to their bellies and 1 managed to stay dry.
how warm was the water?
I'ts a canal at 5 minutes driving from my place. The water was cold but not nearly as cold as I expected. Hence my urge to jump in and never mind not having dry clothes, a towel or a swimming suit with me.
I can't figure out whether the dogs racing along the jetty are thinking, "she's drowning, save her, save her", or, "hmm, nice cool pool, let's jump in too!" Probably the latter!
Mainly they think I'm an idiot most of the time and a provider of cuddles and liverwurst some of the time, I think.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you all look closely at the photo you can see wet doggy paw prints on the jetty, and the white doggie at the back looks a bit soggy to me. :)

I had actually started typing a post a while ago saying that "I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but either the dogs were wet, or @Antje77 has tiny unusually-shaped feet". But I didn't post it, just in case @Antje77 does in fact have tiny unusually-shaped feet :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had actually started typing a post a while ago saying that "I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but either the dogs were wet, or @Antje77 has tiny unusually-shaped feet". But I didn't post it, just in case @Antje77 does in fact have tiny unusually-shaped feet :)
20180421_212339_resized.jpg Just a wee bit dirty from walking aroud barefoot in the garden, the swimming place and the supermarket but not particularly tiny, nor, I think, very unusually shaped :). And at least they are cleaner than yesterday, because of the swimming.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26223 Just a wee bit dirty from walking aroud barefoot in the garden, the swimming place and the supermarket but not particularly tiny, nor, I think, very unusually shaped :). And at least they are cleaner than yesterday, because of the swimming.

Crikey you've got some dirty supermarkets in your neck of the woods!

Probably because of all the people who shop there in bare feet after gardening and swimming in muddy canals :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26223 Just a wee bit dirty from walking aroud barefoot in the garden, the swimming place and the supermarket but not particularly tiny, nor, I think, very unusually shaped :). And at least they are cleaner than yesterday, because of the swimming.

Is that a mole, or a dirty speck on your foot? If it is a mole, are you aware you should be checking it extra carefully?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Seems normal shaped to me! But do be careful when walking barefoot as foot injuries can be particularly dangerous for diabetics.

Good to see you having a nice time in nature, and pics of beautiful doggies! :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I always enjoy your posts.

Envious of that water, swim and solitude with man's/woman's best friend. I'm sure picture taker was respectful and allowed the peace to enjoy.
Dogs are funny.
They go to water edge first and podge before jumping on the decking. Well mine have in past. We have a lovely lake near the artifical ski slopes, walking distance from home. I walked family pets there in my childhood but only unreluctant to jump in if their favour ball was thrown in first. Great in the summer. I've been in (pre-diagnosis) but only in cheap shoes as glass has been known to be thrown in their by idiots. :(. The dogs can shout at the swans too. Or mainly the other way round whilst they protect their eggs and babies. Very vicious at times.
I've grown up to respect nature, but unfortunately some idiots like the swans being agitated. :( They belong on Jeremy Kiley TV.
Summer evenings are very peaceful there as a small walk brings us to another smaller lake where some line fish in solitude from the man-made decks.
A pretty area which I grew up enjoying and visible on ski slopes top/middle.
You have reminded me of another spot to take kids for a picnic in May holidays. 4yr old is getting a spring up tent for his birthday this week so I think a testing session is on the cards.
I just need volunteers to carry tent and picnic folding seats. Rolling on floor to get up just isn't ladylike. Ha ha.
0y4h3.gif

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But do be careful when walking barefoot as foot injuries can be particularly dangerous for diabetics.
Thanks for the warning, Phdiabetic. I've thought about walking barefoot about everywhere after my diagnosis, as I have read the warnings. As far as I know, the increased risk is due to
A: high glucose, which slows healing, which in turn increases the risk for nasty infections (giving you even higher bg, thus even slower healing, leading up to all sorts of things you'd rather not think about).
B: diabetics often having impaired senses in their feet due to neuropathy. Thus they might not feel it when they get hurt and a wound will go unnoticed leading up to a worse wound, infection et cetera.

As for A, my hba1c is below the pre-diabetic range, so no impaired wound-healing. And I see for myself I heal perfectly fine all the time, as I'm an idiot with dirty knives, rubbish in the garden, and I sail, which makes for a lot of small hurts.
And B, Both my DN and I have searched for deaf spots on my feet, but I'm ticklish everywhere. Should that change in the future, I will take measures but as it is I don't really believe I'm at more risk than before diagnosis. Possibly even less, as I would see my GP sooner should I get hurt.

Reactions: phdiabetic

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the like, @phdiabetic :) . I love walking barefoot so it is a pretty big thing for me to be able to, and it was one of my big scares after diagnosis that I read I shouldn't. I'm very thankful that I'm one of the lucky ones who still can.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the like, @phdiabetic :) . I love walking barefoot so it is a pretty big thing for me to be able to, and it was one of my big scares after diagnosis that I read I shouldn't. I'm very thankful that I'm one of the lucky ones who still can.

Glad you got past that scare. As someone whose feet are perpetually cold, I almost always have socks and shoes on anyway so the restriction didn't bother me at all :)