1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by flojo1234, Jul 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. flojo1234

flojo1234 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 10. I am now 20. My diabetes has never been what I would describe as ‘well controlled’ as much as I have tried.
    I am on a pump and a sensor but have frequent hypos and also frequent highs.
    I have just been told I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet which I have suspected for a while, spilt boiling water on them last week which I couldn’t feel but also they get so painful sometimes even when I have only been walking short distances.
    My GP is reluctant to include any pain killers in my already complex medication history due to additional medical problems, I just wondered what people found as a good relief for the pain, any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks
    Chloe

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If the doctor doesn't want to give you pain killers then that just leaves you in natural remedy land.

Have you tried supplementing with r-alpha lipoic acid, and/or acetyl l-carnitine, which some research shows can help reduce this type of pain?

A few suggestions in a google search, show ginger as a potential pain killer for this, and cayenne pepper. Others suggest increasing your vitamin c intake to protect your nerves, with more fruit and veg.

I was reading yesterday how strawberries reduced neurotoxicity, and helped reduce oxidative stress, the phytonutrients in them, called anthocyanins, have a neuroprotective effect. That could be a quite pleasant way to try and improve things. Other fruits, and red collared vegetables contain these too, but strawberries are very effective.

It might be worth googling peripheral neuropathy pain natural remedies, which won't give you a remedy, but might offer advice on foods that can act as pain killers. Many medicines are derived from food, and some foods do contain nutrients that are good for the body, in specific ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @flojo1234.

I recommend taking Lipoic Acid.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-767/alpha-lipoic-acid

I heard this recommendation myself in this forum, and I am enthusiastically passing it on to you with a very big 'thumbs up' from my own experience with nerve damage in my feet - lipoic acid, high dose, as a supplement (take it once a day, not with food.)

And the WebMD is the conservative opinion! You will get a lot more rave reviews from it in the forum, I am quite sure.

I had been taking the ALA form, and was further recommended in here to take the R-LA form.

Alas, it is expensive. (Good on the Germans for having it on prescription! But not so in our countries, alas. It should be I believe.)

I came back from a big trip overseas when I was 18 years old with nerve damage in my feet - I have no idea how, but I do know that is what the story is. Mine presents as like my feet are burning up. I didn't have it diagnosed until I was 52! When I had type two diabetes, and neuropathy is one of the complications as we know. That's a lot of years when I didn't know what it was or what it comes from. I include my time frame as a further plug for it's never too late to supplement and for it to work, and your case - it will be great to get it early!

R-LA (and the ALA to be honest - I don't feel much difference in whatever form of it I have) has been nothing short of a feet-saver. If I miss a pill for whatever reason - I feel it in my feet for sure. Then I take two - and it works like a dream.

Another supplement you could try and see if it works/helps is turmeric/curcumin in high doses. I have just started with this myself so I can't comment on any obvious effect, but both Dr Axe, and Healthline discuss the studies and research results advocating this nutritional therapy. (The bonus is - it is still pricey, but not in the same arena as lipoic acid.) This one you take with food.

Just to be a bit Aunty Aloe here - if you don't mind me doing this? Foot care should be a big part of your self-care now, as in moisturising them frequently, to keep the skin in good shape, and so you are looking at them for wear and tear closely, and wearing as good quality footware, and socks as you can. A bore for a young thing like you, I can imagine - but your feet are really really worth it. Keep an eye on them that they don't get punctured or damaged in any way. (As in on the outside.)

I hope this helps! And you get some relief from the pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook