Peripheral neurophy

Cup half full

Doctor tells me my numb legs and tingling in legs and hands is nerve damage due to long term high sugar levels. Can anyone report having it and it going away when sugar levels get stable. Kinda worrying me at the moment.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctor tells me my numb legs and tingling in legs and hands is nerve damage due to long term high sugar levels. Can anyone report having it and it going away when sugar levels get stable. Kinda worrying me at the moment.

Cup half full (love the name), we have a Google number of folks who have reported their peripheral neuropathy (PN) as having improved, or gone away altogether, once their blood sugars were in a decent place. It tends not to be an overnight thing, although some Justin seem to notice things being different one day.

Some folks take a supplement R-ALA (not ALA, it must be R-ALA), and find it effective. R-ALA is used in maninstream medicine, in Germany for the treatment of neuropathy.

I tried it for a while for some post op neuropathy on my ribs. Over time, the neuropathy significantly eased, but I have no idea if the R-ALA had anything to do with it, or if my very long term healing Justin progressed a bit more. From my own perspective, it just felt good to be trying to do something about it.

I'm sure others will be along, once UK starts waking up a bit, to add their stories and views.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

It's true .... but it needs much work. Just don't expect R-ALA to do it on its lonesome

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have been on very LCHF (keto) for over 2 years now and feel I am now in remission as far as the type 2 diabetes goes. I am 20Kg lighter, more active and daily fasting blood sugar around 100 (5.5). I generally feel good.

Despite this relatively long period of improvements, I still have neuropathy in both feet and lower legs, more pronounced in my left foot. It's bearable but it's always a worry about future complications.

I tried 6 months on R-ALA but it had no effect.

I am currently now trying to avoid any spikes in sugar level by choosing the lowest glycemic carbs over everything else. I am experimenting with One Meal A Day (OMAD) combined with my regular intermittent fasting.

I remain optimistic that I can get rid of this condition, or at least stop it getting worse. I reckon it took a very long time to get this long-nerve damage so I don't expect to find any miracle cure any time soon. However sometimes what doesn't work for some, can work for others, so for example, give the R-ALA a go.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, this has happened to me. The symptoms have not been painful, but obviously noticeable and sometimes uncomfortable. Reducing my HbA1c and weight has helped a lot.