1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Peripheral neutopathy

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by gazzab, Jun 16, 2021.

1. gazzab

gazzab Type 2 · Active Member

Hey everyone I have had t2 20 years on met for in with good control now. Spent a long time in denial 15 years if I am honest I now suffer with background retinopathy and peripheral neuropathy in feet and hands. I have been on amitryptiline as well as duloxetine and gabapentin currently started pregablin although nothing seems to work.

I was just wondering what are people taking and how is it working out for them and do you take extra painkillers for it such as tramadol

2. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Gazzab. I've been using Pregablin for a good few years now. I can only take one tablet a day, otherwise come out in a rash. Together with Carbamazepine, it takes the edge off the pain for a few hours, but i'm still in constant pain. Tramadol didn't touch peripheral neuropathy pain for me. Hope the Pregablin helps you.

3. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

How long have you been in good control? Did the pain start before this? As for me, I had no pain in my feet upon diagnosis. After lowering my levels to non-diabetic levels through LCHF diet, my feet started burning and had occasional shooting pains. Others experienced this and said it could be the nerves healing. Anyway, its been two years now. No more shooting pains. The burning is not near as bad, and only seems to happen when I am on my feet for a good period of time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gazzab

gazzab Type 2 · Active Member

Had good control for 5 years now been on the neuropathy meds for 3 years best way to explain the pain is someone has tied a pair of shoes 3 times too small then set them on fire.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook