Personal safety and security when using the forum.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From time to time, on a forum such as this, an unfortunate set of circumstances or actions arises, giving one or more members concerns. Examples of what might happen might be an inappropriate attachment from one member to another, suggestions to go off-site to one-to-one contact within, say, WhatsApp, Facetime or Messenger. Other examples would be for the sort of scamming activity we might see on TV; perhaps individuals looking to raise funds for “medications/treatments/emergency repatriations” - just as examples.

I am sure we are all familiar with those “Foreign Prince” email scams that encourage us to part with our money, but it is less easy to spot a clever bit of manipulation on a forum – especially one populated by fellow travellers along a sometimes tricky diabetes path. We have a natural “me too” response to much we read.

So please remember that we only have each other's posts to go on, for everything we know about our fellow posters. DCUK have a system of checks and an active moderation team, but while it may be easy to spot a scam email, it can be less easy to spot a dishonest poster. Sometimes someone may post on the forum with the goal of extracting money, whether by promoting products, encouraging Private Messages or by a sob story.

Should you ever find yourself on the uncomfortable end of any of those circumstances, or indeed something else, please hit the Report Button, immediately. The Report button is located under every post, and every Private Message conversation entry. Please check that you know where the button is. Alternatively, email [email protected] to express your concerns.

Any such concerns will be thoroughly investigated, and where necessary, actions taken.

Raising a Report or emailing your concerns is not telling tales. It is playing your personal part in the safe and happy running of diabetes.co.uk and a valuable feedback loop into the site Management/Admin Teams.

The safety, security and privacy of our members is paramount to us at diabetes.co.uk, and we do need your assistance to ensure, where at all possible, any undesirable behaviour or actions are prevented or nipped in the bud.

Many thanks for reading.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Important we all keep this in mind.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Thank you for your post. It's very important

Pat_C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for this. As an aside, facebook keeps asking me to put up a photo of myself so that friends can know what I look like. WELL, my Friends do know what I look like and the thousands (exaggeration?) of other posters who might want to Friend(?) me on facebook don't need to know what I look like.
Again, thank you.

D

Deleted member 308541

As an aside, facebook keeps asking me to put up a photo of myself so that friends can know what I look like.
There are plenty of photos on Google you can use, it's what I do when someone starts a post your photo thread.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I'm not worrying but....
I've been absent for a couple of days and just logged on, via a click on a "Favourites" tab. I'm met with a new landing page, new log-on, and impertinent, compulsory details about my age. Has something been going on over the last few days?
Am I still in the bosom of my diabetes family?

pardalope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any body know any thing about the Vedda blood sugar remedy .pardalope

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello all.
This is a good reminder to us all. Many thanks.
Unless we are lucky to know another forum member who lives around the corner, really we donot know anyone.
There is so much internet scamming going on we all need to be alert.
Many thanks to all who check this site to help keep us safe.

Reactions: Pipp

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just boosting this up, for no other reason than it's been a while.

Please read the initial post and bear it in mind.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL. Well Saturday has quite some distance to go in the UK and Europe yet, so it's not quite a Sunday bump for all. Saturday bump for quite a few, I guess!!

Mumooshka

Thank you for this. As an aside, facebook keeps asking me to put up a photo of myself so that friends can know what I look like. WELL, my Friends do know what I look like and the thousands (exaggeration?) of other posters who might want to Friend(?) me on facebook don't need to know what I look like.
Again, thank you.
facebook also asks you to tag friends and family - there is a reason for this. It's all about data collection and some say for face recognition so that you can be identified via cameras that are on the streets. Thanks to facebook this is money... so yeah, don't tag yourself or friends on facebook (or any other site for that matter)

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bumping this thread again.
Should you receive a Private Message asking for personal information or contact details, please report this message.

Think very well about your online safety and the information you want to share with a stranger from the internet before replying to such a request.