1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pesto Ideas

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by PurpleArmadillo, May 9, 2016.

1. PurpleArmadillo

PurpleArmadillo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Busy meal planning for the next few days and scouring the shelves I see Suma's vegan pesto siciliana only has 1.9g of carbs /100g . Looks like that'll be a staple from now on then.

So what to do with it? I suppose veggie noodles is the obvious one. Any other vegan ideas would be much appreciated :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not many ideas on the web - as you say with veggie noodles - how about a low carb pizza using the pesto rather than the tomato sauce, large mushrooms or peppers stuffed with cauli rice, veggie cheese and the pesto drizzled over the top when serving. Stirred into soup to finish it off - minestrone would be nice like this or a red pepper soup. Not sure as those arecjustvoff the top of my head and I'm not vegetarian so having to think out of the box

• Like Like x 2
  3. Good find :) We like the Sacla Free From Pesto which is vegan but higher carb. On their website they have this recipe which looks good http://www.sacla.co.uk/recipes/free-from/piemontese-peppers-with-pesto-free-from/

Another vote for courgetti in pesto sauce. Lovely topped with some sun dried tomatoes and toasted pine nuts or almond flakes.

Or on a Lidl roll. Split into 3 thin triangles, toast, spread on pesto then pile high with avocado, roasted Mediterranean veg, olives or whatever you fancy.

Mix pesto with soya yogurt or silken tofu to make a dip for raw veg. Or drizzle the dip/sauce over salad or veg.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PurpleArmadillo

PurpleArmadillo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5. SueB743

SueB743 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My hubby often does quorn chicken topped with pesto and backed with lemon which is lovely. Alternatively a large field mushroom with pesto filling, peppers cherry tomato and topped with mozzarella before oven baking also delicious

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Marinate firm tofu?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Pesto is great on almost anything. On a lettuce wrap, thinned for salad dressing, on fish, turkey, chicken, any veggie. No need to get fancy, just swipe it on anything!!! I love pesto.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I was sent this pesto recipe at the weekend. I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews look very good.

https://food52.com/recipes/22291-simple-vegan-pesto

The sender had made it with walnuts. Cheaper than pine kernels I think and would make a nice change.

10. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook