Pfizer Vaccine and higher waking levels

Jibba Jabba

Hello
I’m sure this has been asked before but...
I had my second Pfizer vaccine last Friday and my waking levels (taken at various waking times) have seen a bit of a jump from normal:
Saturday 6.8
Sunday 6.1
Monday 5.6
Tuesday 6.7
Wednesday 5.5
Thursday 7.2
Today 7.1

I’m T2, LC diet controlled. I stopped my Statins around three weeks ago but have started to take them again as I didn’t feel “right” . I’ve been getting palpitations, mostly noticeable of a night.
I was just wondering if anyone else seen their glucose levels jump since the vaccine and if they have levelled themselves out again?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What were your levels doing the week before your shot? The levels you post here do not seem to be unusual, and not showing any trend.

It may be that a sore arm was keeping you wakeful such that your liver is dumping to keep you awake. I slept less well in hte days following a shot but did not detect any abnormalities in my sugar levels. Mind you, I don't do fasting blood sugar since I consider it to be a waste of a strip because of the liver dump.

Jibba Jabba

What were your levels doing the week before your shot? The levels you post here do not seem to be unusual, and not showing

It may be that a sore arm was keeping you wakeful such that your liver is dumping to keep you awake. I slept less well in hte days following a shot but did not detect any abnormalities in my sugar levels. Mind you, I don't do fasting blood sugar since I consider it to be a waste of a strip because of the liver dump.

Thank you for your reply. My levels before were anything between 4.9 and 5.9
I don’t feel that great health wise but I suffer from fibromyalgia so I’m never normally feeling that great anyway. I did have a sore arm that was uncomfortable to sleep on and a headache.
I’ve only been doing a waking test for about a month. I think I may go back to testing before I have breakfast as most of these are around the 5.5 mark. The higher results could be stressing me out maybe?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've been running high for about a week after my second Pfizer jab.
Numbers are settling down at last but I still seem more sensitive to carbs.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jibba Jabba a d @LittleGreyCat what were your BG levels like after the first Pfizer jab? I put on a Libre and felt ok and can’t say I had a problem. I am due my second in the next 3 weeks and plan to wear a Libre again. I don’t know how true it is but I have heard folk get more of a physical reaction with the second Pfizer.

Jibba Jabba

@Jibba Jabba a d @LittleGreyCat what were your BG levels like after the first Pfizer jab? I put on a Libre and felt ok and can’t say I had a problem. I am due my second in the next 3 weeks and plan to wear a Libre again. I don’t know how true it is but I have heard folk get more of a physical reaction with the second Pfizer.

I didn’t think to take it which, in hindsight, would have helped.
I don’t have a Libre, just test strips. Do you find the Libre expensive? I confess I haven’t been on this sight for a long, long time. I lost grip of testing as I was comfortable with what food affected me and I got lax. I’m back on the road of testing again. My new GP classes me as pre diabetic and questions when and how I got diagnosed. Therefore I’m only HbA1c tested roughly every 6 months.

Vaccine wise, I had a sore arm, felt a bit tired and had a headache.. Other than that, nothing to speak of other than raised glucose levels

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t think to take it which, in hindsight, would have helped.
I don’t have a Libre, just test strips. Do you find the Libre expensive? I confess I haven’t been on this sight for a long, long time. I lost grip of testing as I was comfortable with what food affected me and I got lax. I’m back on the road of testing again. My new GP classes me as pre diabetic and questions when and how I got diagnosed. Therefore I’m only HbA1c tested roughly every 6 months.

Vaccine wise, I had a sore arm, felt a bit tired and had a headache.. Other than that, nothing to speak of other than raised glucose levels
I think the Libre is useful for monitoring trends and yes it is £50 a pop so I rarely use it though have bought one to pop on for my second jab.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

IIRC my numbers were a little higher after the first jab.

I also had tiredness and joint ache after the first jab but the second jab seems worse. However I can't rule out other factors such as a longer walk and a long bike ride a day or so before the jab.

Seems more or less back to normal apart from BG being a little skittish still. This is after a week.

Noting that full immunity is supposed to be three weeks after the jab so the immune system must be doing something in those three weeks to build up the immunity, so you would expect some side effects.

Edit:
I am a long term Libre user because I am working very hard to keep my numbers down. So I had a baseline to compare pre and post vaccination results.