1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Phobias

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lenny3, Sep 7, 2014.

1. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've flown for thousands of miles.
    Planes, helicopters, crop sprayers, things that bounced down runways, and skidded to a stop with all the doors iced up so they had to be de-iced before they could be opened.
    Easyjet punching grandmas for seats is nothing by comparison.

2. douglas99

But
    Boat. I had a few experiences, and to be honest, you can't swim. It's a few degrees above freezing,even if you're now in a lifeboat, (I was qualified to launch, and drive lifeboats, from a burning wreck) or be in a survival suit, you're on seconds, or maybe a minute or two. Burning wreck was a better option probably. (I still check the lifeboats on the Dover Calais ferry, how sad is that?)
    Train. On tracks, you can't turn the wheel, and the carriage in front won't forgive you.
    Car. - Truck and it's stopped in front.

Plane.
    Clear sky, nothing but you and a cloud.
    And the only way is down, any landing you walk away from is a good one.

Not having a go, just anything will kill you one day, and I'm probably on a dare, so maybe you shouldn't listen to my ramblings.

3. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have got a spray called Zero in, smells minty. I do need to go around with that again. I think these last couple of months have been attacks from inside. I believe there was a nest under my kitchen sink unit. But now that's all gone, I'm hoping for some peaceful evenings.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

It's a well known fact that more people die after being kicked by a donkey than in plane crashes. I have to tell myself that every time I fly. I do fly and have been on many long haul flights, but I never sleep and always keep my eyes firmly on the cabin staff to see if their expressions change. :eek:

5. douglas99

I sleep all the time. If the cabin staff are panicking, I figure the best I could offer would be to join in.
    Even on helicopters I used to sleep. Admittedly, I closed the survival suit up, I figured I'd have a head start if I woke up with water around my feet then.

6. Anie

Anie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Planes are the same for me, I would love not to restrict my family by being able to bring myself to go in a plane on holiday. My other (and I think bigger fear) is SNAKES!!! I know the are not slimy, I have tried to overcome this by going into reptile houses, but it hasn't worked!

7. douglas99

I guess 'Snakes on a Plane' isn't your top film then?

• Like Like x 2
  8. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Groan :nailbiting:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook