Phobias

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've been having trouble lately with massive spiders. I REALLY don't like them. I live alone so the only way I can continue life after I've seen one is to find it and kill it. I was in tears :( last night after one ran under the sofa and he didn't come out for me to get him. I had to terrify myself and move the sofa, but the good news is I got him. :confused:

I had my dad come round today and we've moved EVERYTHING, he even got under my kitchen cupboards with the hoover, as 3 GIANT spiders have come from the kitchen this week alone! I'm twitching and jumping at any movement.

Does anyone else have Phobias they want to talk about? I know its so irrational but I can't help it. I'm now on the look out for as many conkers as I can find :rolleyes:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My wife has a spider Phobia, she hates them and won't even go in a room if there's one around, she's had this from being a young child and she use to get her father to check her bedroom before she'd go to sleep. These phobia's can be so terrifying and I do feel for you Lenny.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Yeah I remember once a few years ago I was probably 25ish, I spotted a spider on my bedroom curtains and sat there for over an hour, keeping an eye on it waiting for my dad to get home and save me!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
If you are able look up a local NLP practitioner there is a very specific and simple way to treat the problem and has excellent results have seen it ina ction on someone very spider phobic on any spider when l did my NLP course.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hummmmm spiders are wonderful little creatures .. You have house spiders and that's where they live in houses. We have a house spider in most of out rooms .. They are great as they do catch flys .. Why o why must you kill them .. They will do you no harm, we have no very poisonous spiders in the uk, out side of pet shops.
Please, please PLEASE .. don't kill them ::stop: They only want your shelter and a few flys.

Do also try to get pro help with this phobia .. They don't deserve to be killed, every living thing has the right to life .. Being killed for food is bad, but just to kill because you are afraid of them is so wrong ....
Sorry I don't mean to upset you .. But please stop killing

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lenny
I can totally understand!! I used to have a massive phobia of spiders, couldn't even say the word, look at photos etc let alone have one in my home!

It was so bad it affect every aspect of my life, from only being able to buy a flat rather then house with garden, abandoning my car in a dodgy part of city as it had a spider in it, needing to have a photo of spider removed from chemical brochure at work etc……. really bad.

Friends were so concerned that they booked me onto a course at a Zoo close to where I live. It dealt with phobias of spiders and It changed my life. Since the course I have bought a house, travelled to Australia, South Africa, South America places with big spiders!!

I can not say in a few comments on here just how amazing it is to no longer have that absolute fear. I still don't like spiders but I can manage to deal with them, or calmly get someone else if they are enormous. Best of all I have managed nOT to pass on my dislike of spiders to my children

I know many big zoos do similar courses, definitely worth having a look.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hummmmm spiders are wonderful little creatures .. You have house spiders and that's where they live in houses. We have a house spider in most of out rooms .. They are great as they do catch flys .. Why o why must you kill them .. They will do you no harm, we have no very poisonous spiders in the uk, out side of pet shops.
Please, please PLEASE .. don't kill them ::stop: They only want your shelter and a few flys.

Do also try to get pro help with this phobia .. They don't deserve to be killed, every living thing has the right to life .. Being killed for food is bad, but just to kill because you are afraid of them is so wrong ....

Try wherever possible not to kill them, I get a container like an old yogurt pot and place this over the spider, then using a piece of card I slide it between the pot and the surface to which the spider is on, then I just take it outside and release it in the garden, not keen on handling them so this is the best option I can think of.

Remember there was a huge spider in our bath, I did as above and upon releasing it in the garden it ran across the lawn and bird swooped down and grabbed it.........:(

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spiders are a problem for me too.

Initial reaction is panic.
If I get the time, I can come back and deal with the problem, but the panic is irrational, disproportionate, and extreme.

I kill them. I have taken them outside in the past, but they come back. Astonishingly quickly!
I can't share space with them.

Re curing the phobia, why would I want to?
I consider them dangerous. My reaction is deeply instinctive. I trust my instincts. The idea of 'curing' something that is keeping me safe makes no sense.

Why would I want to remove my self-preserving fear response, and start exposing myself to contact with them? It seems like a ridiculous idea. I mean, if you are afraid of picking up a burning coal, do you want a treatment that eradicates your sensible fear, and allows you to burn your hand without concern?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much

I'd just like to say there is NO WAY I could get close enough to catch one. And there are no flys in my house cos I barely open the windows cos I'm scared I'll get spiders in. Also I live in a coach house type flat, ie no garden and 95% on the 1st floor!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Lenny3 Have you tried the spider spray they sell in Lakeland? Not tried it myself but it has good reviews. It discourages them from entering your home apparently. They will go to your neighbour's house instead and give you peace.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Spiders are a problem for me too.

Initial reaction is panic.
If I get the time, I can come back and deal with the problem, but the panic is irrational, disproportionate, and extreme.

I kill them. I have taken them outside in the past, but they come back. Astonishingly quickly!
I can't share space with them.

Re curing the phobia, why would I want to?
I consider them dangerous. My reaction is deeply instinctive. I trust my instincts. The idea of 'curing' something that is keeping me safe makes no sense.

Why would I want to remove my self-preserving fear response, and start exposing myself to contact with them? It seems like a ridiculous idea. I mean, if you are afraid of picking up a burning coal, do you want a treatment that eradicates your sensible fear, and allows you to burn your hand without concern?

Maybe if you have funnel web spiders in your house, but in the uk?
My wife and kids use the dyson on them, and seem to enjoy turning them into small round currents spinning round and round.
Me, I like to pick them up and throw them out of the window.

I used to hate wasps, until i picked all the plums off the tree in the garden, and had to mix with most of the hive fighting me for them. Didn't get stung.

They're alive, and they feel.
I'm with noblehead on this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe if you have funnel web spiders in your house, but in the uk?
My wife and kids use the dyson on them, and seem to enjoy turning them into small round currents spinning round and round.
Me, I like to pick them up and throw them out of the window.

I used to hate wasps, until i picked all the plums off the tree in the garden, and had to mix with most of the hive fighting me for them. Didn't get stung.

They're alive, and they feel.
I'm with noblehead on this.

You see, I think the dyson death is awful. Couldn't do it. Terrible.
But a single splat, that they don't even know is coming? Hell yeah.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I spend a lot of my life in dark places in peoples houses.Pulling cables in lofts, running pipes in basements, pulling out cupboards in the back of kitchens.
I live with wildlife and insects.
The only ones I don't like are stinging creatures in lofts, as I know they'll make me step back, and fall through the ceiling into the room below.
I try to move them on, without killing them, and go back later. 100% successful so far.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My mother is pertrified of spiders of ANY size .
I am always having to catch them and place them outside for her .
They are probably more terrified of her in reality .

I dont agree with the killing or the murdering of them !
They are here for a natures 'reason' I feel and believe .

My own phobia is AEROPLANES :nailbiting::eek::yuck:
Absolutely HATE them and refuse to fly at all .
Anything can go wrong on one of these - in my head I firmly believe !
Wouldnt even go on one if someone offered me a million quid to do so

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My mother is pertrified of spiders of ANY size .
I am always having to catch them and place them outside for her .
They are probably more terrified of her in reality .

I dont agree with the killing or the murdering of them !
They are here for a natures 'reason' I feel and believe .

My own phobia is AEROPLANES :nailbiting::eek::yuck:
Absolutely HATE them and refuse to fly at all .
Anything can go wrong on one of these - in my head I firmly believe !
Wouldnt even go on one if someone offered me a million quid to do so

I hate heights.
(bit better now)
But flying, I figure something will kill me.
It could be a plane, but at least i won't be alone.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One of the greatest quotes ever for me was

'Life is hard.
Then you die.
Then they throw dirt in your face.
Then the worms eat you.
Be grateful it happens in that order.'

Kind of makes everything else fit in for me.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In my head the wings or tail can snap off .
Tyres can burst or not come back down at all .
Any sparks will cause a fire - with all fuel on board .
Hostage take over etc.
Pilot heart attack/collapse etc .
Storm or turbulence can damage plane .
Plane can crash into sea , mountains , rugged terrain ,
buildings .
Computer failure , pilot errors , run out of fuel , engines stop
or set on fire .

Far happier up a ladder Douglas - as not as far to fall
With a plane its outa sky with no parachutes !
Bunch of total screaming and surely panicked strangers around me also .
NO THANKS :eek::nailbiting:

Much happier with my feet on land, earth and floor .

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In my head the wings or tail can snap off .
Tyres can burst or not come back down at all .
Any sparks will cause a fire - with all fuel on board .
Hostage take over etc.
Pilot heart attack/collapse etc .
Storm or turbulence can damage plane .
Plane can crash into sea , mountains , rugged terrain ,
buildings .
Computer failure , pilot errors , run out of fuel , engines stop
or set on fire .

Far happier up a ladder Douglas - as not as far to fall
With a plane its outa sky with no parachutes !
Bunch of total screaming and surely panicked strangers around me also .
NO THANKS :eek::nailbiting:

Much happier with my feet on land, earth and floor .

Up a ladder?
I do that.
10ft, 20 ft? that can kill you.

I believe in destiny.
It's what you make it.
Lot's of things can kill you.
Some you can control, some you can't.
So you bet on the odds.
But I like risk taking, but that's me, other people have more sensible attitudes.
I think the diabetes changed me, i hated heights, now I fancy skiing, with the cable cars that terrified me.
Part of that is down to the weight loss, as I don't feel so out of control on ' edges', part is 'so what'

To be fair, eventually I'll probably drown though, or burst something I wanted.
Like a lung. ;)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I like calculated risks only .
Boat - I can swim :) Train - on tracks so okay nearer to ground :)
Car - I drive it n wheels on earth,ground and tarmac :)
All reasonably safer in my head and way of thinking .

Aint going on NO planes 'ever' 'ever' 'ever' ! :nailbiting:

Destiny or density I aint going on a plane !