Piecing Together What Happened With My Diabetes Management

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I just noticed the following info (attached image) about when I joined this site and when I first posted, after forgetting about it in the busyness of life.

I must have joined in March 2016, with a view to participating after reading the forums for a while. I first posted in December 2017 then forgot about it until May 2018.

March 2016 was around the time when (now in hindsight) I wish I had continued keeping a close eye on my BGs and esp my HbA1c.

In NZ we are entitled to 3 monthly HbA1cs and most other tests we ask for. There's a culture of GPs not putting up a fight when a patient takes an interest in their own diabetes management. (The NHS could save a lot of money if it followed this lead.)

I was having 6 monthly A1cs because they were in the 30s for so long frankly we got sick of looking at them. j/k

In Feb 2016 my A1c had crept up to 43 and I now believe I had probably joined this site for a refresher on how to get it back down to the 30s. Oh how I wish I had stayed with that idea. Because the medical centre then forgot to send me for an A1c test in Dec 2016 and I didn't notice that.

The problem was compounded in July 2017, when I did have my A1c tested, but no one at the medical centre contacted me and I had forgotten to ask. It wasn't until December 2017 that I found out what had happened with my BGs, and came back to the forum to start a thread about getting back on the wagon.

The moral of this story is: Do not take your eye off the ball.

And don't rely on the automatic computerised recalls at your doctor's surgery, either. AFAIK, they are blaming that for one of the mistakes.

Attachments

• 2018-06-05 16_43_57-Trophies Awarded to Jenny15 _ Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community.png
    2018-06-05 16_43_57-Trophies Awarded to Jenny15 _ Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 304

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand your frustration @Jenny15
I’ve only been a member here since Feb 2018 and I have a strong feeling that if I stopped dropping in regularly that I might take my eye off the ball and let things slide. The people here, their experiences and advice keep me focussed and inspired.

I was told about 3 or 4 years ago that I was prediabetic but was given no other information so I assumed it didn’t really matter and carried on with my life in blissful ignorance. How I wish I’d found this site back then. It took a routine blood test last year to flag up that I was now diabetic (HbA1c 66). Still no advice given, just ‘take metformin’.

The thing is that you have remembered this place now: you are back and ready to take control again and that’s good news.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I can understand your frustration @Jenny15
I’ve only been a member here since Feb 2018 and I have a strong feeling that if I stopped dropping in regularly that I might take my eye off the ball and let things slide. The people here, their experiences and advice keep me focussed and inspired.

I was told about 3 or 4 years ago that I was prediabetic but was given no other information so I assumed it didn’t really matter and carried on with my life in blissful ignorance. How I wish I’d found this site back then. It took a routine blood test last year to flag up that I was now diabetic (HbA1c 66). Still no advice given, just ‘take metformin’.

The thing is that you have remembered this place now: you are back and ready to take control again and that’s good news.
Thanks so much @DJC3, you don't know how much your post cheered me up, bless you. It's been 7 days since I started on Lantus insulin and I've been nauseous, lightheaded and weak for periods of every one of those days. I see my DN tomorrow and will hopefully switch to a different type of insulin that I'm not (basically) allergic to.

After all I've been through in the last 2 years, I was so excited to start on Lantus, and assumed I would start to feel a bit better but I felt worse! Just have to stay positive and keep trying. I know things will eventually improve. The support from people on this forum is helping me get through at the moment. Thanks again. x

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much @DJC3, you don't know how much your post cheered me up, bless you. It's been 7 days since I started on Lantus insulin and I've been nauseous, lightheaded and weak for periods of every one of those days. I see my DN tomorrow and will hopefully switch to a different type of insulin that I'm not (basically) allergic to.

After all I've been through in the last 2 years, I was so excited to start on Lantus, and assumed I would start to feel a bit better but I felt worse! Just have to stay positive and keep trying. I know things will eventually improve. The support from people on this forum is helping me get through at the moment. Thanks again. x

Sounds like you’ve had a rough time recently, it’s rotten luck that Lantus hasn’t worked for you. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow, I really hope they can help you get it sorted. You sound like you have the right mindset to stay positive.
Go you!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I just noticed the following info (attached image) about when I joined this site and when I first posted, after forgetting about it in the busyness of life.

I must have joined in March 2016, with a view to participating after reading the forums for a while. I first posted in December 2017 then forgot about it until May 2018.

March 2016 was around the time when (now in hindsight) I wish I had continued keeping a close eye on my BGs and esp my HbA1c.

In NZ we are entitled to 3 monthly HbA1cs and most other tests we ask for. There's a culture of GPs not putting up a fight when a patient takes an interest in their own diabetes management. (The NHS could save a lot of money if it followed this lead.)

I was having 6 monthly A1cs because they were in the 30s for so long frankly we got sick of looking at them. j/k

In Feb 2016 my A1c had crept up to 43 and I now believe I had probably joined this site for a refresher on how to get it back down to the 30s. Oh how I wish I had stayed with that idea. Because the medical centre then forgot to send me for an A1c test in Dec 2016 and I didn't notice that.

The problem was compounded in July 2017, when I did have my A1c tested, but no one at the medical centre contacted me and I had forgotten to ask. It wasn't until December 2017 that I found out what had happened with my BGs, and came back to the forum to start a thread about getting back on the wagon.

The moral of this story is: Do not take your eye off the ball.

And don't rely on the automatic computerised recalls at your doctor's surgery, either. AFAIK, they are blaming that for one of the mistakes.
I know you have in the past controlled your T2 with LCHF and been very successful
Although you took your eye off the ball a bit, but why not try the diet again if you know it worked.

Reactions: bkr and Terrytiddy

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I know you have in the past controlled your T2 with LCHF and been very successful
Although you took your eye off the ball a bit, but why not try the diet again if you know it worked.
As I have already said to you more than once, I am doing that.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I think thats the first time I have asked you this specific question. Although I am open to being wrong. However since your very apt at asking questions I find it strange you refuse to answer questions. Of course no one has to answer any question on a forum,

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I think thats the first time I have asked you this specific question. Although I am open to being wrong. However since your very apt at asking questions I find it strange you refuse to answer questions. Of course no one has to answer any question on a forum,

Indeed they do not. I have not refused to answer questions asked in good faith by anyone in this forum in the short time I've been here. Due to previous posts you have directed at me, any further responses from me to you will be by PM only.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear you’ve struggled with the insulin Jenny, as you know I am keenly following your progress and I hoped for a more positive first week, not as much as you I’m sure, let’s hope things get where they need to be very very soon.

I completely agree about taking your eye off the ball, I achieved ALL of my goals, my numbers were all perfect, dB, bp and chol. That was the problem, I succeeded, I didn’t need to test, I slowly slipped from the path of rightciouness hehe, not back to my original behaviour but not trying nearly as hard as I clearly need to. I am wishing I had maintained everything now, rather than starting from almost scratch

Heyho

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sorry to hear you’ve struggled with the insulin Jenny, as you know I am keenly following your progress and I hoped for a more positive first week, not as much as you I’m sure, let’s hope things get where they need to be very very soon.

I completely agree about taking your eye off the ball, I achieved ALL of my goals, my numbers were all perfect, dB, bp and chol. That was the problem, I succeeded, I didn’t need to test, I slowly slipped from the path of rightciouness hehe, not back to my original behaviour but not trying nearly as hard as I clearly need to. I am wishing I had maintained everything now, rather than starting from almost scratch

Heyho
Thanks Fenn. I feel exactly the same way... I think it's healthy for these issues to be discussed in the forum. Hopefully we can help others not end up like we did.

I really needed Lantus to work. I am now at my wit's end physically, mentally and emotionally, there is huge stress on my family, because they thought it would improve things not make them worse, too. I am coping hour by hour at times. I will make it through but boy it is hard going.

I told my DN within 24 hours of starting Lantus that I was feeling really woozy and sick and she didn't seem to notice how significant that was. I will have to be more assertive (while being pleasant to her of course). I don't like it when I can't choose my health professional... there is another DN but I don't want to rock the boat for now.

While I did drop the ball, I was let down by several different doctors and nurses who could have stepped in if they had been a bit more proactive. The doctor who did, in the end, is my hero.

Thanks again and I hope to report back with better news soon!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it Churchill that said.... when you are going through hell, keep going

You will get there, try to stay positive, you are strong!

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Since my suspected Lantus intolerance has come up in this thread, I just want to say my symptoms could be due to a UTI. I had one a few months ago with days and days of nausea and weakness followed by bladder discomfort. I was diagnosed with basically a raging UTI, which was quickly treated with antibiotics. I am starting to feel the same kind of discomfort now. It's possible it is both the Lantus and a UTI.

Prior that recent UTI, I would always get bladder pain as the first symptom. This is why I didn't know I had a UTI without that. It must be a hyperglycaemia thing.

My GP the other day offered to prescribe me the antibiotics I need for a UTI to have on hand but I said no, that I would rather have testing and diagnosis so I'm sure. He nodded, knowing this was more medically prudent. It's a sign he really cares though, isn;t it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since my suspected Lantus intolerance has come up in this thread, I just want to say my symptoms could be due to a UTI. I had one a few months ago with days and days of nausea and weakness followed by bladder discomfort. I was diagnosed with basically a raging UTI, which was quickly treated with antibiotics. I am starting to feel the same kind of discomfort now. It's possible it is both the Lantus and a UTI.

Prior that recent UTI, I would always get bladder pain as the first symptom. This is why I didn't know I had a UTI without that. It must be a hyperglycaemia thing.

My GP the other day offered to prescribe me the antibiotics I need for a UTI to have on hand but I said no, that I would rather have testing and diagnosis so I'm sure. He nodded, knowing this was more medically prudent. It's a sign he really cares though, isn;t it.
Ketostix is a simple way to see if you have a UTI going on. Not sure what they are called in NZ, but it is the urine test strips we used to use for sugar monitoring pre meters. Nowadays they come as a multipurpose test kit. Just make sure they test leukocytes for UTI.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ketostix is a simple way to see if you have a UTI going on. Not sure what they are called in NZ, but it is the urine test strips we used to use for sugar monitoring pre meters. Nowadays they come as a multipurpose test kit. Just make sure they test leukocytes for UTI.
That is a good idea, I will get some to have on hand for the future. They're called Ketostix here too. Thanks

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Indeed they do not. I have not refused to answer questions asked in good faith by anyone in this forum in the short time I've been here. Due to previous posts you have directed at me, any further responses from me to you will be by PM only.

That won’t be happening. Have a good one

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I have to get some medical care for this suspected UTI even though it's just after 4am here. Wish me luck and thanks for the support, folks.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and DJC3

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well, that was a busy day for me.
A&E x 1
Medical centre x 2
Laboratory x 1
Pharmacy x 3

And I don't normally go out much because of my health issues, and I had zero sleep last night.

My suspected UTI was confirmed and I started on antibiotics, which are helping. I wish I had accepted the GP's offer of ABs to have on hand for the next UTI. For some reason I assumed (a) I might not get another one and (b) I could obtain the ABs in an orderly fashion during daytime.

Oh well, another lesson in being better prepared and keeping on top of things. I truly am just relieved to be getting better.

Some of the clinic/pharmacy visits today were to check in with my DN about diabetes management. We are now completely on the same page and I am starting to really appreciate her knowledge and also her compassion.

After discussing the main points of the visit she paused to acknowledge what a big deal all this is for me and told me I am doing really well. I appreciated that and added that there can be a real grief about having T2 (or any type), and also guilt and self loathing. Then she reminded me that with my strong family history she doesn't buy into the blame game. She's a very good nurse, the way they used to be. Older generation, which I like.

She understood my Lantus issues and will do everything she can to get me the right insulin, whatever it takes. She will call the hospital dept for info. Once I've shown her my 3 day BG monitoring chart she will be able to give me Novomix 30 (IIRC). It was the next best option that was suggested by her, and by me, separately. So that's encouraging.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks for your suggestion. In the sense that I am doing LCHF to the best of my ability at those times where my DN agrees (such as avoiding certain situations when I have non-diabetes medical issues and my team ask me to eat a certain way for a few days), I am trying the diet again since I know it worked.

The reason I am not relying solely on LCHF and Metformin, as I did for most of the time between 2009 and 2016 is that my medical needs (diabetes and non-diabetes) have changed since then.

My medical and nursing team do not agree that LCHF and Metformin would be enough to reach agreed goals in the short term, ie 3-6 months. If I want to discuss with them going off insulin after that time, I will. I have to manage T2 as one of several other medical conditions, making my case different to most and different to my own in the first years after diagnosis. Since my T2 diagnosis I have been diagnosed with other conditions. I am on a waiting list to see the endo about it as they want to run some more tests.

Hope that helps.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Thanks for your suggestion. In the sense that I am doing LCHF to the best of my ability at those times where my DN agrees (such as avoiding certain situations when I have non-diabetes medical issues and my team ask me to eat a certain way for a few days), I am trying the diet again since I know it worked.

The reason I am not relying solely on LCHF and Metformin, as I did for most of the time between 2009 and 2016 is that my medical needs (diabetes and non-diabetes) have changed since then.

My medical and nursing team do not agree that LCHF and Metformin would be enough to reach agreed goals in the short term, ie 3-6 months. If I want to discuss with them going off insulin after that time, I will. I have to manage T2 as one of several other medical conditions, making my case different to most and different to my own in the first years after diagnosis. Since my T2 diagnosis I have been diagnosed with other conditions. I am on a waiting list to see the endo about it as they want to run some more tests.

Hope that helps.

You are having a rough time

I think we or I should say “me” have the luxury of being able to deal with one or two medical conditions at a time. I’m fortunate in that respect that being Keto is sorting all my probs out leaving me free to deal with t2d

Hopefully you get things sorted. Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Good luck keep at it!

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You are having a rough time

I think we or I should say “me” have the luxury of being able to deal with one or two medical conditions at a time. I’m fortunate in that respect that being Keto is sorting all my probs out leaving me free to deal with t2d

Hopefully you get things sorted. Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Good luck keep at it!
Thanks for the support and encouragement @rab5, I feel like I've turned a corner now.

And well done with your efforts. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: DJC3 and rab5