Piercings and type ones

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I'm a 17 year old diabetic, diagnosed september 2007, aged 12, so coming up five years!
I was just wondering whether any of you had ever had a problem with piercings.. i've recently had a surface piercing on my neck and my inner ear rook done, two years ago i had my tragus and my lobes were done when i was four. i've had no problem with any of my piercings as of yet (touch wood!) but i was just curious as to whether any type one diabetics had.. they always ask on forms whether you suffer from type on diabetes before piercing, but i assume this is due to the hypo problem during the actual piercing. is there any increased risk of piercings going wrong/ rejecting for a type one diabetic, or any stories that you have?
thanks in advance!
Lo xxx

Elc1112

Re: Peircings and type ones

Hi Lo,

I was diagnosed when I was seven and had my ears pierced aged eight.. I had problems then as my sugars were not properly under control. I had to take the earrings out and let the piercing grow over. I had them re-pierced a couple of years later.

Since then I have had the top of my ear done twice and my belly button. No problems with either, apart from catching my belly bar on the edge of a table a few years back. I did it reaching for a Lucozade to treat a hypo, so I guess you could say it was diabetes related? More honestly, it was just me being clumsy!

Diabetes can take longer to heal, so there is some risk of infection etc. I've had piercings, tattoos an surgery and always healed just fine. As long as you keep your sugars under control you should be fine.

Ps a surface neck piercing?! You're clearly much braver than me!! ;)

Em

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Em,
Ah brill thankyou! yeah i always seem to heal fine as well, and my sugars are under control, 99% of the time ;)
never had any problems with piercings, i was just curious as to whether it was a common thing y'know..

Yeah the back of the neck! It wasn't too bad actually, pain wise. Was more worried about the parents haa!
Tattoos?! clearly braver than me ;)
Thankyou for the insight!
L x

Elc1112

Oh my parents first noticed the tattoo on my back at Christmas. I had it done when I was 15 at a somewhat relaxed tattoo parlour who were happy to accept a date of birth. I'm about to celebrate my 21st birthday for the ninth time, so it was a little while ago! Lol

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool

Had my eyebrow pierced several years back ( DON'T ask!! have no idea why?).. Had no problems with it healing or anything. I admit I am type 2 so may not be as helpful. Had 4 tatts done now though and again no problems with them

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my newest piercing (neck) was greeted with a light hearted 'good luck getting into medical school' but it went okay actually! Thanks for the reply Stevie2tone, all replies are good, type one or two! hm so no problems, here's hoping..
Lois x