pill

lucyx 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have really bad blood glucose swings around 3-5 days before my period (i.e. i was 27 tonight after doing exercise!) and i was thinking about going on the pill, and if this will in any way bring my blood sugars down and prevent the massive swings in blood sugars i keep getting because i cannot control it! i feel awful and want to see how the pill has affected other people's blood sugars before jumping to a decision.

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pill hasn't affected mine as far as I know. I have been diabetic for 6 years and have been on the pill longer than that. I know that hormones will affect your sugars but I'm not 100% sure if the pill will reduce that from happening..but I do know I have never been affected by my pill. Maybe ring the doctors or ask a nurse they should be able to tell you straight away

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate to this and completely understand your blood sugars rocketing before your period, I too have experienced this for years! I am fortunate to be fairly regular with my periods so when I know it is due I wait for the first sign that blood sugars are climbing and then plough in the insulin! For me this is purely premenstrual so when I actually come on I usually crash and this can be severely if I'm not careful and not ready to reduce back on the insulin. It is a nightmare so you have my sympathy.
After many years on many different pills I can honestly say for me it made no difference, sorry, it may be different for you.
If you are fairly regular then try and keep tabs on it, but don't anticipate too early as it will always defy you!!
I don't live my life around it but sometimes I think 'why am I high?' and realise it is that time better add a few units. Some blood glucose meters even have a setting to add extra for that time so it is not unusual.
Others on here I am sure will also have theirs stories to tell of that time because it is really an unpredictable side of controlling your diabetes :arghh: