Pioglitazone + Gliclazide..Anyone taking these?

Dislikes
Being diabetic
Posted in the new member`s section a few days ago but here is the first of what will probably be many questions :!:

Was diagnosed type 2 a couple of years ago but pretended it wasn`t really happening to me, naughty I know, but the penny has dropped with me now and am trying to sort myself out, being several stone overweight I`ve begun a weight loss plan basically counting cals and exercising. My doc called me in for a general check up and blood tests which showed my fasting level to be 14. My weight has dropped by a couple of stone, but he has prescribed a new regime of pioglitazone and gliclazide and now the weight is going back on so fast it`s frightening and making me feel like i`m banging my head against a brick wall :( Although my fasting levels have dropped to 7, has anyone else had this problem with these pills, and is there any hope at all :?:

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I could not keep my weight under control when taking glic + pio + metformin so I was changed onto other meds with the pio, but the only way the weight came under control was by being put onto Victoza injections to go with the pio + metformin. The Victoza (liraglutide) has made a vast difference to many health issues in my life and to me it is the wonder drug that has been missing form my life for many years. The past 9 months injecting Victoza has changed my life completely around :thumbs-up: :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
pioglitazone and gliclazide both have weight gain as known side effects. It is likely to be hard to lose weight on them.
One method most doctors won't tell you about is carb control. They concentrate on pharmaceuticals.
Restricing carbs will bring bg down as well as weight.
Certainly Victoza and Byetta both help weight loss and bg control. Probably because of their appetite suppressant properties.
Exercise too doesn't do much for weight loss, although it makes you fitter.
In tests, exercise alone, without diet control has been shown not to reduce weight.