JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well as wholemeal pitta has about 26g of carbs per pitta and about 140 cals and granary bread has about 15g of carbs and about 84 cals per slice if it was a choice I would go for the granary bread but personally I would avoid both if possible.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @charlie_farley,

The only way you will know if you can eat the brown pitta or granery bread is to test and see the results before and 2 hours afterwards. You need to add plenty of fibre and protein and some fat and see what happens.
There are other breads that people can safely use, it just depends on your individual response.
Lidl protein roll. burgen soya and linseed are quite peoplular choices.

Reactions: 2 people

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found I can get away with a granary roll at lunchtime on my current insulin dose but I'm looking at alternatives.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some low carb breads available from supermarkets or health food shops which may be a better option, or you can bake your own - check the forum low carb recipes section, or ask Google for recipes. I use a low carb, gluten free, ready mix from Sukrin which is about 1-2g carbs a slice. And it's idiot proof in that you just need to mix with water and bake. It's quite expensive, but you can't really eat much at a time as its quite filling. Making your own from scratch with almond, coconut or sesame flour, etc, will be a fair bit cheaper but a little more time consuming.

Robbity

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are some low carb breads available from supermarkets or health food shops which may be a better option, or you can bake your own - check the forum low carb recipes section, or ask Google for recipes. I use a low carb, gluten free, ready mix from Sukrin which is about 1-2g carbs a slice. And it's idiot proof in that you just need to mix with water and bake. It's quite expensive, but you can't really eat much at a time as its quite filling. Making your own from scratch with almond, coconut or sesame flour, etc, will be a fair bit cheaper but a little more time consuming.

Robbity
Many thanks for this