Pizza....the enemy!!

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Love my home made gluten free vegan pizza, never had a spike from it

Reactions: 2 people

moz1

Pizza is a great treat and once you sort correct insulin regime that works for you it is not a problem. I regularly have a deep pan pizza and a couple of beers with it but do not have a major problem as split dose 50/50 the second dose 2 hours after meal finished. I may even have a ice cream on the odd occasion as well!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Soke

I teach kickboxing, 6 classes a week + my own training means carb control is critical.
Pizza/pasta have been my lifelong staples and now they're a deathtrap, so my solution is porridge oats (not sure what it is in the US).
I buy bags of different nuts, smash em up and sprinkle them in the bottom of the bowl, fill the bowl with oats and use semi-skimmed milk.
Microwave for 90 secs, let it rest a minute then another minute full belt, sprinkle sweetener on it and that will last me from about 8 am to 1 pm.
Low GI works a treat.
Another thought, instead of being a gym bunny for hours, research HIT training - 30 sec bursts - so hard you want to vomit (you might guess my mind set from the statement), short rest then do 2 more reps.

upyourownart

Pizza has beat me. I eat a high carb diet 350g+ a day to cope with a strict exercise regime but I just can't cope with pizza at all. I use my dual wave option on my pump, pump in a bit extra too because of the high fat content but always under up with a high BG number. Has anyone any tips please?

I get that you like pizza but seriously, no one can advise you to eat it sensibly! It is a really unhealthy food option whether you have an autoimmune disease or not. Personally I would advise you to give up all foods containing gluten as it is known to be a gut irritant, totally indigestible and implicated in leaky gut or increased intestinal permeability (which increases your risk of developing other autoimmune diseases). If you are really interested in pursuing a healthy life-style, quit pizza and other gluten contain foods now!

the_exile

I get that you like pizza but seriously, no one can advise you to eat it sensibly! It is a really unhealthy food option whether you have an autoimmune disease or not. Personally I would advise you to give up all foods containing gluten as it is known to be a gut irritant, totally indigestible and implicated in leaky gut or increased intestinal permeability (which increases your risk of developing other autoimmune diseases). If you are really interested in pursuing a healthy life-style, quit pizza and other gluten contain foods now!

This isn't a diet forum, it's a diabetes forum, type 1 diabetics can eat whatever the hell they want, just because you take your diet extremely seriously doesn't mean to say everyone has to. I'm sure that all of us being type 1 take extra care with our diet etc, but saying people should quit eating certain foods is a bit cheeky in my opinion. I'm away to eat a dairy milk, hopefully that annoys any health freaks looking in :D

Reactions: 5 people

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This isn't a diet forum, it's a diabetes forum, type 1 diabetics can eat whatever the hell they want, just because you take your diet extremely seriously doesn't mean to say everyone has to. I'm sure that all of us being type 1 take extra care with our diet etc, but saying people should quit eating certain foods is a bit cheeky in my opinion. I'm away to eat a dairy milk, hopefully that annoys any health freaks looking in :D

Couldn't agree more with you, I find it seriously rude and cheeky!! All I was asking for was advice on how people cope with eating pizza and different methods they use. I don't need a lecture on what to eat and what not to eat. Just going to have 2 pieces of fruit at once.....please don't tell the doctor!!