Plan 'B' for pump issues?

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm new to pumping and generally finding it very liberating, but how should I equip myself for when things go wrong? I appreciate that having no basal in my system means that any insulin delivery problems can get serious quite quickly, so what do people typically carry with them? Replacement canulas/infusion sets, inserters and spare batteries are a given, but what about pens etc? Ketone monitor? Basically I'm looking for people's views on a sensible balance between bulk/weight and safety...

Thanks for any and all views!

Shiba.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When away from home for over an hour, I take my emergency kit with me. This contains cannula, reservoir, batteries, Fiasp pen, needles, test kit and hypo treatment. I have never needed the reservoir but have needed cannulas and batteries.

iHs

If I was working, then I would leave a spare set with tube plus cartridge in my desk drawer or locker. I would also try to store a vialof iinsulin in a fridge if possible and then it wouldn't really matter how long the vial was in the fridge for because it would only be taken out to drawer up a cartridge of insulin for the pump if need be.
I always carry a small amount of bolus insulin in a pen and just refill the glass cartridge with about 25u of bolus per month and use that when things go wrong. After 8yrs of having a pump, I haven't had a infection or had a problem that I wasn't able to take care of in a common sense way.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
whenever i leave the house i always carry a spare pod ( omnipod ) , a vial of insulin , bolus and basal pens , spare needles , lancets , sweets., and test strips

if going away overnight add to that a spare BG meter..............

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if out of house I always carry 2 bm meters+ a spare of a totally different make which does ketones, spare batteries 2 types of lancets

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daily kit has insulin vial, mio, reservoir, pump clip, and battery. Also syringes which saves me carrying pens around. I have two monitors anyway as I have libre (with blood and ketones strips also) and contour next. If going away overnight or longer I take also insulin pens and needles and another contour monitor

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'f I'm within an hour or so of home I take the minimum with me (BG meter and hypo stuff). I have a spare battery and kit in the work draw consisting of cannula and I always change at around 100u of insulin so risk of running out is super low. My grab bag for overnight has cannulas and syringes as well as glucagon (which I can also use for insulin) as does my work rucksack. If im away a few days I'll take a spare CGM sensor.

D

Deleted Account

I am definitely more aligned with @Engineer88 and leave the kitchen sink behind.

However, the true answer is "it depends".
- if I am out for less than an hour and don't intend to eat, I take hypo treatment.
- if I am away for up to a day, I take with me my hypo treatment, BG testing kit, a spare pump battery and a syringe. My plan is to use the syringe to extract insulin from the pump cartridge and inject basal every hour if my pump fails.
- if I have changed my set less than 2 hours before I leave, I will also add a spare cannula.
- if I am away overnight, I will add a complete pump alternative set - this is either pens (and insulin cartridges and needles ... I forgot the needles in the past) or a loaner pump.

I have a strong dislike of overpacking and, before I had diabetes, I would grab my house keys and run out the door so still dislike carrying a handbag everywhere I go.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am definitely more aligned with @Engineer88 and leave the kitchen sink behind.

- if I am out for less than an hour and don't intend to eat, I take hypo treatment.
- if I am away for up to a day, I take with me my hypo treatment, BG testing kit, a spare pump battery and a syringe. My plan is to use the syringe to extract insulin from the pump cartridge and inject basal every hour if my pump fails.
- if I have changed my set less than 2 hours before I leave, I will also add a spare cannula.
- if I am away overnight, I will add a complete pump alternative set - this is either pens (and insulin cartridges and needles ... I forgot the needles in the past) or a loaner pump.

I have a strong dislike of overpacking and, before I had diabetes, I would grab my house keys and run out the door so still dislike carrying a handbag everywhere I go.

I cannot face taking a bag everywhere much to my mothers dismay. Its amazing what you can fit in jean pockets.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Helen, my DN has suggested that if I purchase syringes on line, it would save me having to carry back up pen in case of pump failure. Therefore saving having to keep throwing insulin cartridges away after 1 month. Can you advise which syringes you use. I'm on the Medtronic 640g and use the quick sets.

D

Deleted Account

Hi Helen, my DN has suggested that if I purchase syringes on line, it would save me having to carry back up pen in case of pump failure. Therefore saving having to keep throwing insulin cartridges away after 1 month. Can you advise which syringes you use. I'm on the Medtronic 640g and use the quick sets.
My syringes are pretty generic.
They are provided on prescription ... if your DN is recommending them, I am surprised you have to pay for them (unless you are not in the UK).
My prescription describes them as
BD Micro-Fine + hypodermic U100 insulin syringe sterile single use / single patient use 0.3ml with 8mm needle 0.3mm/30gauge (Becton, Dickinson UK Ltd)

They look something like these: https://www.premierhh.co.uk/bd-micro-fine-0-3ml-insulin-syringe-with-30g-8mm-needle-100.html

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
If I'm out on normal activities close to home shopping etc I frequently don't take anything (I have CGM). at worst case 30 min and I will be back home. I never take a battery unless it's getting close to flat, at worst case I will buy some, if it dies unexpectedly. If I'm going away for a day or more, especially in remote areas, then I will take 2 meters a pack of batteries, insulin and pump consumables x 3 or more, hypo stuff.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My syringes are pretty generic.
They are provided on prescription ... if your DN is recommending them, I am surprised you have to pay for them (unless you are not in the UK).
My prescription describes them as
BD Micro-Fine + hypodermic U100 insulin syringe sterile single use / single patient use 0.3ml with 8mm needle 0.3mm/30gauge (Becton, Dickinson UK Ltd)

They look something like these: https://www.premierhh.co.uk/bd-micro-fine-0-3ml-insulin-syringe-with-30g-8mm-needle-100.html

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply, I'm in the UK, my DN started by saying I could ask to have them added to my prescription, then suggested I buy them as they appear inexpensive. I couldn't remember the exact description of them,I think they are the ins you have mentioned. I'll pursue the doctor.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply, I'm in the UK, my DN started by saying I could ask to have them added to my prescription, then suggested I buy them as they appear inexpensive. I couldn't remember the exact description of them,I think they are the ins you have mentioned. I'll pursue the doctor.
A big thank you to all the suggestions from everyone. I have to admit that my original post was motivated by an aversion to wasting medication! Rationally I realise that makes no sense, avoiding even just a single hospital stay would pay for years of wasted insulin...

I guess I feel more comfortable knowing that others are happy to 'waste' insulin in order to stay safe. It just offends my Scottish heritage!

Thanks all.

Shiba.