1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Plan 'B' for pump issues?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Shiba Park, May 27, 2018.

1. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm new to pumping and generally finding it very liberating, but how should I equip myself for when things go wrong? I appreciate that having no basal in my system means that any insulin delivery problems can get serious quite quickly, so what do people typically carry with them? Replacement canulas/infusion sets, inserters and spare batteries are a given, but what about pens etc? Ketone monitor? Basically I'm looking for people's views on a sensible balance between bulk/weight and safety...

Thanks for any and all views!

Shiba.

2. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When away from home for over an hour, I take my emergency kit with me. This contains cannula, reservoir, batteries, Fiasp pen, needles, test kit and hypo treatment. I have never needed the reservoir but have needed cannulas and batteries.

3. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

If I was working, then I would leave a spare set with tube plus cartridge in my desk drawer or locker. I would also try to store a vialof iinsulin in a fridge if possible and then it wouldn't really matter how long the vial was in the fridge for because it would only be taken out to drawer up a cartridge of insulin for the pump if need be.
    I always carry a small amount of bolus insulin in a pen and just refill the glass cartridge with about 25u of bolus per month and use that when things go wrong. After 8yrs of having a pump, I haven't had a infection or had a problem that I wasn't able to take care of in a common sense way.

4. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

whenever i leave the house i always carry a spare pod ( omnipod ) , a vial of insulin , bolus and basal pens , spare needles , lancets , sweets., and test strips

if going away overnight add to that a spare BG meter..............

5. Angusc

Angusc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

if out of house I always carry 2 bm meters+ a spare of a totally different make which does ketones, spare batteries 2 types of lancets

6. fairylights

fairylights Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My daily kit has insulin vial, mio, reservoir, pump clip, and battery. Also syringes which saves me carrying pens around. I have two monitors anyway as I have libre (with blood and ketones strips also) and contour next. If going away overnight or longer I take also insulin pens and needles and another contour monitor

7. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'f I'm within an hour or so of home I take the minimum with me (BG meter and hypo stuff). I have a spare battery and kit in the work draw consisting of cannula and I always change at around 100u of insulin so risk of running out is super low. My grab bag for overnight has cannulas and syringes as well as glucagon (which I can also use for insulin) as does my work rucksack. If im away a few days I'll take a spare CGM sensor.

8. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I am definitely more aligned with @Engineer88 and leave the kitchen sink behind.

However, the true answer is "it depends".
    - if I am out for less than an hour and don't intend to eat, I take hypo treatment.
    - if I am away for up to a day, I take with me my hypo treatment, BG testing kit, a spare pump battery and a syringe. My plan is to use the syringe to extract insulin from the pump cartridge and inject basal every hour if my pump fails.
    - if I have changed my set less than 2 hours before I leave, I will also add a spare cannula.
    - if I am away overnight, I will add a complete pump alternative set - this is either pens (and insulin cartridges and needles ... I forgot the needles in the past) or a loaner pump.

I have a strong dislike of overpacking and, before I had diabetes, I would grab my house keys and run out the door so still dislike carrying a handbag everywhere I go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cannot face taking a bag everywhere much to my mothers dismay. Its amazing what you can fit in jean pockets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ann48

Ann48 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11. Ann48

Hi Helen, my DN has suggested that if I purchase syringes on line, it would save me having to carry back up pen in case of pump failure. Therefore saving having to keep throwing insulin cartridges away after 1 month. Can you advise which syringes you use. I'm on the Medtronic 640g and use the quick sets.

12. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

My syringes are pretty generic.
    They are provided on prescription ... if your DN is recommending them, I am surprised you have to pay for them (unless you are not in the UK).
    My prescription describes them as
    BD Micro-Fine + hypodermic U100 insulin syringe sterile single use / single patient use 0.3ml with 8mm needle 0.3mm/30gauge (Becton, Dickinson UK Ltd)

They look something like these: https://www.premierhh.co.uk/bd-micro-fine-0-3ml-insulin-syringe-with-30g-8mm-needle-100.html

13. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I'm out on normal activities close to home shopping etc I frequently don't take anything (I have CGM). at worst case 30 min and I will be back home. I never take a battery unless it's getting close to flat, at worst case I will buy some, if it dies unexpectedly. If I'm going away for a day or more, especially in remote areas, then I will take 2 meters a pack of batteries, insulin and pump consumables x 3 or more, hypo stuff.

14. Ann48

15. Ann48

Thanks for your reply, I'm in the UK, my DN started by saying I could ask to have them added to my prescription, then suggested I buy them as they appear inexpensive. I couldn't remember the exact description of them,I think they are the ins you have mentioned. I'll pursue the doctor.

16. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A big thank you to all the suggestions from everyone. I have to admit that my original post was motivated by an aversion to wasting medication! Rationally I realise that makes no sense, avoiding even just a single hospital stay would pay for years of wasted insulin...

I guess I feel more comfortable knowing that others are happy to 'waste' insulin in order to stay safe. It just offends my Scottish heritage!

Thanks all.

Shiba.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook