Type 1 Planning a baby with retinopathy!

Emsy2297

TTC
Hello everyone so I’ve had a bit of a rough time
Last year I had two rounds of laser on my right eye for proliferative retinopathy. I had a follow up yesterday and the consultant said all is well in that eye however my left eye is now needing treatment. Upon asking if it’s the same situation as my right eye was he said it is worse as it’s nearer the middle and the nerves.
He asked if there was any chance I could be pregnant and to do a test.
I said if I’m not.. we have been early stages of TTC should we hold of until after my eye is treated. He said no that’s fine we can continue but just need to keep sugars well and be aware.

Does this sound right and ok ??
If you was in my shoes what would you do I guess is my ultimate question.

Thanks

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
TTC
Hello everyone so I’ve had a bit of a rough time
Last year I had two rounds of laser on my right eye for proliferative retinopathy. I had a follow up yesterday and the consultant said all is well in that eye however my left eye is now needing treatment. Upon asking if it’s the same situation as my right eye was he said it is worse as it’s nearer the middle and the nerves.
He asked if there was any chance I could be pregnant and to do a test.
I said if I’m not.. we have been early stages of TTC should we hold of until after my eye is treated. He said no that’s fine we can continue but just need to keep sugars well and be aware.

Does this sound right and ok ??
If you was in my shoes what would you do I guess is my ultimate question.

Thanks
Although I can't be in your shoes, I thought it might help you to know that when I had both eyes lasered in 1979, it was a major influence on both of us getting married and starting a family. From the point of view of giving your eyes the best chance, your consultant is right about maintaining good blood sugar control. Remember that stress and bugs/viruses can make it rise significantly, but that doesn't mean irreparable damage. 43 years later I still have my sight and a 10 year-old granddaughter. Nobody can strictly advise you, but it sounds like you have a good consultant. I hope you have a joyful outcome, like we did!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emsy2297 sounds like your consultant knows his stuff. If you are TTC and hopefully succeed, your diabetes team will be monitoring you regularly and will be helping you to maintain strict control for you and the babies health. That will help your eyes also.