Planning pregnancy with doctors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m 21 years old now and I am thinking about trying for a baby now while I’m still young and I’m just wondering what advice people can give me on about planning it with my diabetes team first and what could happen if I got pregnant accidentally what would I then have to do. Thanks in advance

Whitney

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Whitneyevans97, From my experience as male diabetic and father of 5 children (one has one Down Syndrome child),
not as professional advice or opinion:
I understand your wish and forethought plus your concern to not leave things too late, but
1) Is your life at a stage where having a baby is OK, work-wise, relationship-wise, financially and is there support?
2) some things you might to asked at the doctor's/nurse's meeting:is there anything which needs consideration such as family history of birth or inherited problems; do you have other health conditions which could affect your ability to become pregnant or bear a child or which could worsen during pregnancy?
3) how easy or not is your diabetes to control and are you prepared to be super-vigilant about monitoring and making diabetes control as good as possible before and during your pregnancy?
4) I imagine pre-pregnancy things might include making sure one is immune to German Measles and that other vaccinations are up to date, including influenza vaccination. And a visit to the dentist is often suggested.
5) unplanned pregnancy - it happens !!! See what your team suggests but I imagine keeping BSLS as best possible for now on and taking pregnancy/breast-feeding supplements containing iodine, folate, iron, B3,B12, Vit D etc from now on. I was told by one of the foremost doctors in thyroid conditions that iodine is important for baby's brain from the moment that baby is conceived. (which is ? 3 weeks before tests might prove it)
Best Wishes and sometimes if control is really tricky an insulin pump might be a option?!?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There are all kinds of things in place for us diabetics who are of child-bearing age. If it works the same in your area, you will be referred to an Endocrinologist who will assess everything about you... they go into insulin type, dosage, any other medications, general health and well-being. If your hba1c isn't optimum, then they may get you to sign a disclaimer that you will seek appropriate contraception until your hba1c is ok.
They will usually see you every 4 to 6 weeks to keep on track, and when your hba1c is within their tight range, they'll advise you to go forth and multiply.
I haven't got to that stage yet because we're still sorting the hba1c out.

The one thing I will say, is that they can get a bit "Nanny State" about everything. The Endocrinologist first told me that to get pregnant with diabetes would be "a complete disaster for your entire life". This is blatantly not true. Yes, there are risks... and the worse your control is, the worse the risks are. But stand by your guns, tell them what your time frame and goals are. Don't let them drag it out - because they will be complacent! (It took 4 years for me to even get referred to the endo).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kitedoc thank you for replying I am very stable with my life right now I’ve been with my partner for 2 years been working full time for a year and a half and I still live at my home with my mum and she will support me throughout if I am successful and my diabetes is well controlled the majority of the time and the only other illness I have that could affect a pregnancy is Addison’s disease and I’ve done my research about that and have read that as long as I continue to take all my medications for it I’ll be fine

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @kitedoc thank you for replying I am very stable with my life right now I’ve been with my partner for 2 years been working full time for a year and a half and I still live at my home with my mum and she will support me throughout if I am successful and my diabetes is well controlled the majority of the time and the only other illness I have that could affect a pregnancy is Addison’s disease and I’ve done my research about that and have read that as long as I continue to take all my medications for it I’ll be fine
That is great to hear!! I believe that in stressful situations the dose of some of the Addison's disease medication is changed but as you say, all in hand!! And fronting up to the health team is about stating your needs and wishes, your agenda, (not their's).
Best Wishes for the near and far future. Please let us all know how things go !!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kitedoc,
Yeah I will stand my ground about it because it is what I want and I will not put it on hold for years and years and then it could possibly be to late and I will do