Plant based diet studies show heart benefits

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to conclude to note that the President of the American Cardiology and also the president of this association are vegans. This doesn't mean they are of necessity biased as they should have sufficient integrity in the scientific method , but perhaps they've chosen their preferred conclusions without identifying any causal reason for their conclusions other than dead animals = sat fat = heart disease.
The latter guy had a heart attack during the annual conference in 2017.......

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This snippet from WebMD about fat shows what the endocrinologists have been saying for years, that our body upgrades consumed fats to produce whatever SFA's it requires. So our bodies have to work hard to convert mono=unsats and poly=unsats into the higher-order amino acids and SFA's. So eating saturated fat does not equate to dangerous levels of sat fat lipids.
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/good-fats-bad-fats

And here is the meaty-beaty-big and bouncy bit for science aficionado's
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2739696/

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This snippet from WebMD about fat shows what the endocrinologists have been saying for years, that our body upgrades consumed fats to produce whatever SFA's it requires. So our bodies have to work hard to convert mono=unsats and poly=unsats into the higher-order amino acids and SFA's. So eating saturated fat does not equate to dangerous levels of sat fat lipids.

Are you sure you gave the right link. This seems to be the usual saturated fat is bad message.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

I'm a bit confused here. Can fatty acids be converted into amino acids?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you sure you gave the right link. This seems to be the usual saturated fat is bad message.
WebMD is a conservative medical website, and it has to toe the line with regards to the NIH guidelines, and it uses MyPyramid, which is the old ADA food pyramid. So yes, there are places where it says increased cholesterol is linked to heart disease and stroke. But there are also places where it talks about things changing, so showing that there is evidence supporting the opposite view. Since the article is entitled Good fats vs Bad fats, they are stuck in the middle. What it does also talk about is how nonanimal sources are also bad for us and for the environment. A state of flux. Not a perfect fit, I agree.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am finding there's a bit more nuanced debate about it with more focus on how linoleic acid /omega 6s can damage our cells and why the vegan diet works for metabolic purposes though isn't optimal.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit confused here. Can fatty acids be converted into amino acids?
No. Proteins bind to fatty acids and are part of the protein synthesis activity, especially in the liver and macrophages. They bind in the lipids to assist the transport of their components, and also vitamins. Proteins are of course amino acids. The fatty acids appear to supply energy and also signaling enzymes to complete the insertion of proteins into the correct places.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am finding there's a bit more nuanced debate about it with more focus on how linoleic acid /omega 6s can damage our cells and why the vegan diet works for metabolic purposes though isn't optimal.
The interviewee is Peter Dobromylsky of Hyperlipid. Very entertaining and thought-provoking.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The interviewee is Peter Dobromylsky of Hyperlipid. Very entertaining and thought-provoking.
Pretty good for a vet and a fan of rat studies but not so keen on our human foibles as he claims never to have eaten when not hungry!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pretty good for a vet and a fan of rat studies but not so keen on our human foibles as he claims never to have eaten when not hungry!
I could claim that too, but I'd be lying through my teeth - except that I don't have any of those anymore.

We have gotten ourselves a new kitten, who is perpetually hungry. He'd love a rat or three.

The whole podcast hangs on the assumption that linoleic acid/omega 6 is poison for us, but although I saw the study that made this observation, I am not entirely convinced it is as harmful as he states. It certainly spits a lot when you fry with it. I agree that overheating it and repeated re-use is not a good idea.

Personally I am using 'healthy fats' such as butter and lard, with olive oil for salad dressings. When you think about it, marge was originally created to be an industrial lubricant akin to axle grease and was never intended for human consumption. It certainly tasted like axle grease.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I could claim that too, but I'd be lying through my teeth - except that I don't have any of those anymore.

We have gotten ourselves a new kitten, who is perpetually hungry. He'd love a rat or three.

The whole podcast hangs on the assumption that linoleic acid/omega 6 is poison for us, but although I saw the study that made this observation, I am not entirely convinced it is as harmful as he states. It certainly spits a lot when you fry with it. I agree that overheating it and repeated re-use is not a good idea.

Personally I am using 'healthy fats' such as butter and lard, with olive oil for salad dressings. When you think about it, marge was originally created to be an industrial lubricant akin to axle grease and was never intended for human consumption. It certainly tasted like axle grease.
I think the trend in the low carb/ ancestral health community to vilify LA is an hypothesis to explain why it is that people can and do eat starchy diets yet remain metabolically healthy. Its not just the sugar , its now the factory fats.
The adage about man being clever enough to make food factories but stupid enough to eat it remains though I am guessing the CEOs of Nestle, Procter and Gamble, Unilever etc. don't go near their own products!

Hope your carnivorous kitten is having a good day!