Please advice, someone

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm undiagnosed as yet but had a high sugar reading on routine bloods last week, am awaiting a fasting test.

In the meantime I've been monitoring myself.
This is what happened just now
Please could anyone advise.
I tested just now, just over 2 hours after breakfast, it's 4.9.
Is this an acceptable reading ?
Not exerted myself at all as I'm recovering from viral labyrinthitis so not burnt any extra calories, I do have hunger pangs though which is odd.
What I can't understand is that when I test myself after sleeping and gone about 9 hours almost without food it's 6.2.
Would welcome any advice.
Thanks in advance .

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
your 4.9 2 hours after eating is good, normal actually......

a 6.2 in the morning I think may be higher than one would expect, however the body's resistance to insulin is higher in the morning, in everyone, and the pancreas has released glucagon which tells the liver to provide energy [glucose], due to the stomach being empty......

this is known as the dawn phenomenon in non diabetics........:)

a 6.2 is perfectly safe though........

you should get some more blood sugar readings at other times of the day too........

Reactions: 2 people

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
your 4.9 2 hours after eating is good, normal actually......

a 6.2 in the morning I think may be higher than one would expect, however the body's resistance to insulin is higher in the morning, in everyone, and the pancreas has released glucagon which tells the liver to provide energy [glucose], due to the stomach being empty......

this is known as the dawn phenomenon in non diabetics........:)

a 6.2 is perfectly safe though........

you should get some more blood sugar readings at other times of the day too........

Thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated, one more question please, at 12.45 noon just before eating lunch ( by this time I really felt hungry ) I tested again, it was 3.9, is this leaning towards the hypo side of things ? Thanks in advance.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
leaning towards yes, but not officially.........

if your getting readings like that i don't understand what exactly it is that giving doctors concern......

what was the high reading you got at the doctors....?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
leaning towards yes, but not officially.........

if your getting readings like that i don't understand what exactly it is that giving doctors concern......

what was the high reading you got at the doctors....?

Hi again and thank you.
I didn't ask when the receptionist rang last Friday..... I was too shocked really as this blood test was a routine one for thyroid, glucose and haemoglobin. I didn't expect anything to be wrong with the sugar at all:( I'm getting the dreaded blood test in the morning, so maybe the nurse doing it will have the paperwork with the reading on hopefully. I can't make sense of what's going on at all.
I wake at 5 am so it's going to be difficult for me waiting until just after 9 tomorrow morning without a drink, I'm only allowed sips, I suffer with long term agoraphobia as well that's why the nurse is coming to me.
Is it because drinking a lot of water sort of dilutes the blood and they get a false reading ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Hi again and thank you.
I didn't ask when the receptionist rang last Friday..... I was too shocked really as this blood test was a routine one for thyroid, glucose and haemoglobin. I didn't expect anything to be wrong with the sugar at all:( I'm getting the dreaded blood test in the morning, so maybe the nurse doing it will have the paperwork with the reading on hopefully. I can't make sense of what's going on at all.
I wake at 5 am so it's going to be difficult for me waiting until just after 9 tomorrow morning without a drink, I'm only allowed sips, I suffer with long term agoraphobia as well that's why the nurse is coming to me.
Is it because drinking a lot of water sort of dilutes the blood and they get a false reading ?
If you can't last without a drink or something to eat they will have to rearrange the appointment. If you take your own readings each morning BEFORE eating or drinking you can show them the results. I'm not diagnosed either, I'm at High risk so I monitor myself for my own peace of mind. Keeping your blood sugars in the safe zone around 4 - 8 mmol , can only be beneficial healthwise.
But your numbers are looking good. Get some more readings throughout the day and tell us what they are.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you can't last without a drink or something to eat they will have to rearrange the appointment. If you take your own readings each morning BEFORE eating or drinking you can show them the results. I'm not diagnosed either, I'm at High risk so I monitor myself for my own peace of mind. Keeping your blood sugars in the safe zone around 4 - 8 mmol , can only be beneficial healthwise.
But your numbers are looking good. Get some more readings throughout the day and tell us what they are.

Hi again,
I'm scared of going without food or drink but also know if I can't last will only have to get the test rescheduled. I have been monitoring my sugar most mornings and the readings are stored on the device, all done after fasting, it's mostly 6.2. I did have a cup of tea one morning last week with a tiny amount of sugar and when I took a reading almost 2 hours later it was 5.9 ? Can they determine by these readings ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
There are more users of this forum who can help you better than I... but as both of us are not diagnosed (as yet) I would say that 6.2 does seem a little on the high side... but not quite in the Diabetic range.. But upon further testing it could be part of the Pre-Diabetes range. Remember , blood sugars go up and down for many different reasons... they are not static and they are not always predictable and it's not an exact science. You could just be someone who has a high reading in the mornings (due to liver dumps etc.) That in itself proves nothing. Test before eating and then test 2 hours afterward. Testing after a cuppa isn't enough to give a diagnosis of anything. See how you get on tomorrow with the doc.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally, you can drink water before a fasting blood glucose test.
They will also probably be taking blood for a Hba1c test. They rely on the Hba1c because it gives an overall view of what is going on with your blood glucose as a whole over the last 2 or 3 months.

The only time a diagnosis is made from a single finger prick test is if the reading is exceeding high. For example, in July last year I went to the Dr's surgery with a urinary tract infection. They tested my urine for infection, but noticed that I was showing a lot of glucose. When they did the finger prick test (before I'd eaten anything that day) my reading was 19.1.
I was sort of fast-tracked through the system, and didn't need any of the usual tests to confirm my diabetes.

As others have said, 6.2 is erring slightly on the higher side of normal. So they may investigate further. However, all of your other readings are absolutely spot-on.

Try not to worry too much about having a hypo. Although anyone can have a hypo, they mostly happen to diabetics who use insulin or other special medications to control their diabetes. It's the medication and the insulin that cause the hypo.
I've found that my body has a nifty way of preventing a hypo. Usually if I test and find that I'm in the low 4's, another test 15 to 20 minutes later will find me up in the 6's, or even higher, as the liver has kicked out some of it's stored glucose to raise my levels.

Good luck with your tests!