please help my poor father!

Hi experts,

my father got Type 2 diabetes in his 30's, and he is 48 now. he couldn't see things clearly, and has a high level of blood sugar.
i am an overseas student in UK. i really wish i could help him! could you suggest any medecine, that might be very helpful? i also saw him taking some medicine for protecting his kidney, maybe you could also give me some suggestions about medecine that can protect his kidney?

thanks very much!

Qian

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Qian.The best way for your father to reduce his blood sugar levels is to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that he eats.Can you give us some idea of what he eats so that we can make some suggestions?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I agree wih Sue reducing sugar and starch in the diet is the simplest way of getting blood sugar down. It has the added advantage of not needing medicine, so no side effects. that means, cut out sugara and severely reduce rice, pasta, bread and white roots.

thanks very much for both of you guys!
but he is really very careful about his diet. he never eat bread, and anything that tastes sweet. but still... we are very despressed about this...

Jenny

Given the name suggests a Chinese origin I don't think western dietary advice would be particularly helpful.

Trinkwasser

Dropping the carbs in his diet and trying to ensure he gets plenty of exercise should help.

Metformin is usually #1 medicine for reducing insulin resistance, and ACE or ARB inhibitors are used for blood pressure reduction but also have kidney protective benefits

HOWEVER

all these medications are prescription only for a reason, they may also have side effects or otherwise be unsuitable.

Other than that insulin is probably the most reliable method of BG control but likewise its use really need professional oversight as it can kill if improperly used

yes, i am a chinese girl. so i think even if i tell you what he eats, you might not understand... anyway, he eats very little rice or wheat or noodles, but he eats a lot vegetables, beef, and seafood. i believe it is a proper diet. and he go to gym every day.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Lots of veg,beef and seafood sounds good,Qian.Is there an equivalent book in chinese to the carb counting books we have here do you know?Perhaps there is something in his diet that has carbs but he is unaware of.

Trinkwasser

Sounds like he's doing all he can but it isn't working. :(

I'm wondering if he's actually Type 1/LADA which can progress pretty slowly in adults and in which case insulin is really the only solution.

thanks a lot guys! yes, he is very careful, and does all that he can. he's got a Type 2. but i may say there is a diabetes inherited gene in our family. i think that is also one of the reasons why he's got diabetes at an early age- his 30's. he doesn't eat a lot. sometimes he will eat peanuts. but he does eat a lot of veg, fish, and beef, and he had 4 eggs per day. i think i have already mentioned 90% of his input.

Trinkwasser

jennifer_shadow said:
thanks a lot guys! yes, he is very careful, and does all that he can. he's got a Type 2. but i may say there is a diabetes inherited gene in our family. i think that is also one of the reasons why he's got diabetes at an early age- his 30's. he doesn't eat a lot. sometimes he will eat peanuts. but he does eat a lot of veg, fish, and beef, and he had 4 eggs per day. i think i have already mentioned 90% of his input.

Another possibility

http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/diabetesgenes/index.htm

MODY is often misdiagnosed either as Type 1 or Type 2, most forms seem to respond well to low doses of sulfs which should be fairly readily available. They seem to start the pancreas responding again but medical supervision is really required as the doses are often much lower than needed for Type 2 and there's a very real possibility of generating hypos. The genetic tests themselves are very expensive but the response to treatment can be diagnostic.

This may be why some insulin users (Halle Berry?) can later come off insulin - because they were initially misdiagnosed.

MODY generally runs in families, isn't usually associated with overweight or poor lipids and is fairly uncommon - unless of course it runs in *your* family when it can be quite common.