Please help. Need some advice.

Vish1982

Hi all. I’ve been to my GP this morning who told me in diabetic. My level is 58 and it needs to be 42-47. They want me to reduce my weight and control my food intake as I’m 36. I’m female and put on some weight as recently had a miscarriage. I have been comfort eating I guess. They want me to try and reduce my level before they put me on meds.

So my question is how much am I over and what can I do to reverse it or bring it back down within range. How long would it take? I really don’t want to take meds as I’m scared I’ll be on them forever.

I know I have to give up carbs and sweet stuff.

Any advice would be really appreciated as I’m feeling really low today and still in shock. Both my parents have diabetes too.

argospeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I’ve been to my GP this morning who told me in diabetic. My level is 58 and it needs to be 42-47. They want me to reduce my weight and control my food intake as I’m 36. I’m female and put on some weight as recently had a miscarriage. I have been comfort eating I guess. They want me to try and reduce my level before they put me on meds.

So my question is how much am I over and what can I do to reverse it or bring it back down within range. How long would it take? I really don’t want to take meds as I’m scared I’ll be on them forever.

I know I have to give up carbs and sweet stuff.

Any advice would be really appreciated as I’m feeling really low today and still in shock. Both my parents have diabetes too.
Hi Vish! You have the answer young lady, talk to parents. I hope all is well between you, they will be a tremendous source of help support and information. The watch word is moderation in food intake! You already know the answer, yes will power. As for meds the reason simples, if over weight you will get a mixture of results best to loose the weight down to reasonable levels, though having said that I’m well over my recommended target. At the end of the day it’s how you feel that matters, suggest you do the blood strips to give you some idea. You will feel a little better when you see the readings start to drop to near normal levels but remember we are all different just a matter of finding your average normal that you are happy with.And yes an occasional treat is well worth the reward, just remember the reading may just register a little more than usual, extra fluids to wash out assists then back to normal routine. R.E.M. it’s how you feel comfortable with. Just remember the medical profession are just plain bossy! Lovely with it but bossy. You keep your reading around normal every chance only minor meds . Me retired mental nurse with type 2 naughty boy still enjoys his crinkle crisps! Lol lol

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Vish1982 - good news is that you now know so can take charge of it. T2 I am guessing?
Some people, me included, obtain a blood sugar test kit and keep a food diary to see what works. Some exercise will help including brisk walking.
Don’t go mad over it nor get too fretful. Breath.Take some time to read about diabetes on this website and make a plan.
The easiest explanation that I have heard is this; each cell in your body needs insulin. You don’t produce enough so cells only get a very small taste. If you reduce the number of cells in your body then each cell gets a better taste.

Carb cutting is an art form in itself so again, take it easy - have a go at cutting the big things first; cereals, potatoes, rice and pasta, cakes and sweets. Remember, carbohydrate is a very fancy word for sugar. :)
Best breakfast alternative in my opinion is a two egg omelet with spinach.

Good luck :)