Please help

Jadepidge_

Can anyone tell me if it's against the for a school to refuse my 7 year old daughter with type 1 diabetes school meals.. If so where can I find this written so I can throw it at the school

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jadepidge_ Is this something new they have decided? I've worked in education for 40 years and never heard of this before. What reason do they give?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean free school meals? Being given free school meals is dependent on receipt of benefits, I think, so not diabetes related. The criteria to qualify for free school meals will be available on your local authority website so check on there to see if you meet any of the criteria.

Or, are they refusing to sell you/your daughter food in school? If so what explaination have they given for this?

Jadepidge_

The nurse has been to the school several times to train staff and cancelled meetings more times than I can count... This week it's that they are waiting for the hospital to send photos of the meals which the hospital said today is a total lie that they had a email from school saying they haven't got time to take photos

Jadepidge_

The hospital even said just send us the pics of the and we will do the hard work of working out the carbs. I but they still make excuses

Jadepidge_

Do you mean free school meals? Being given free school meals is dependent on receipt of benefits, I think, so not diabetes related. The criteria to qualify for free school meals will be available on your local authority website so check on there to see if you meet any of the criteria.

Or, are they refusing to sell you/your daughter food in school? If so what explaination have they given for this?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do the school have an Equal opportunity policy? This doesn't sound very equal. Surely the cook knows the carb content of the food?

Jadepidge_

Do the school have an Equal opportunity policy? This doesn't sound very equal. Surely the cook knows the carb content of the food?
Yes and the diabetes nurse said to me the catering team seemed to not have a problem with the carbs as hospital said if they sent a phone of each meal for that set month then they will work out how much carbs for the school...
But yet they promised my daughter could start on Tuesday after bank holiday but yesterday said it will be a while before this will happen as there is no one to take the photos.. There is constantly a excuse..
Do u know is there a rule about this?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if one photo of one school meal is going to assist much with getting the entire range of school meals carb counted.

The DSN can teach the school staff how to carb count. Or if your daughter is doing carb counting she could do the carb counting on the school meals. But, it generally is pretty tricky for anyone to carb count accurately when eating out, and school meals are just eating out.

When eating out the restaurant/canteen doesn't have to be able to tell you the carb content of your meal, so the school canteen may well not know the carb content. It might be worth having a chat with the catering team to ask for their assistance in getting school meals carb counted. If you go into a cafe for lunch they are not going to be able to tell you the carb content so this would be a bit above and beyond for the school canteen, who is probably a separate private company, but a kind dinner lady might be feeling helpful.

Diabetes uk have some info on what to expect from school and they do have a helpline to call if you are having problems - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...and-diabetes/Schools/Care-in-School-Helpline/

Jadepidge_

Yes and the diabetes nurse said to me the catering team seemed to not have a problem with the carbs as hospital said if they sent a phone of each meal for that set month then they will work out how much carbs for the school...
But yet they promised my daughter could start on Tuesday after bank holiday but yesterday said it will be a while before this will happen as there is no one to take the photos.. There is constantly a excuse..
Do u know is there a rule about this?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not ideal I know, but could you go in and take photos of her lunches and forward them to he hospital?

Jadepidge_

Me and another mother are going to suggest this but if they turned this down wondered what or if laws are in place for this which we can say in our defence

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me and another mother are going to suggest this but if they turned this down wondered what or if laws are in place for this which we can say in our defence

I couldn't say anything about the law or regulation, but if you took the photos and copied both schools and hospital in then the school can comment should they feel it necessary.

I'm just looking for a way forward which hardly impacts the school, except for maybe plating up one extra portion of each food on the days you take photos.

Jadepidge_

I no the school has cancelled numerous amounts of times more than I can count making excuses to not do it and this has been going on for seven months now

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
You might like to make the Chairman of the Board of Governors know. They may be able to wield some weight?

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What madness!! Where are you? All the meals served by hampshire county council are carb counted by a dietician and the list sent to all parents by the hospital to give to the school each year. My little one has hot meals 3 days a week and its no problem at all. She chooses the meat or vegie option and her pudding and the office staff read it off and add it up - she dials it up on the pump and off to the dinnerhall...

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jadepidge are you free at lunchtime? Would you do the carb count if your child was eating out? Could you ask if you could go in at lunchtime to carb count for your child? Just to get them started?