Please Help

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so i was diagnosed in september, since then i started 3 months meds but have came off the meds and controlled it without ranging usually between 5.6 and 7.9 max 8.4 on odd occasion

usually im fine with toast and have 2 slices as in morning as thats all i usually have throught the day, so today i have my normal 2 rounds 3 hours lates and im spiked all the way to 10.0 im at wits end as to what it could be its always een fine but bizarely today im spiked so much

any idea's?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you try testing again after a few minute may just be a blip as you are usually ok with your toast Many here have Bergen Soya and Linseed bread it is one of the lowest in carbs so may be worth a try

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
P.s I used to be nearly 40 stone 6 months back I have so far decreased my weight dramatically to 25, and yes i realise i still have a major journey to go.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you try testing again after a few minute may just be a blip as you are usually ok with your toast Many here have Bergen Soya and Linseed bread it is one of the lowest in carbs so may be worth a try

Yeah I re tried and was the same reading

D

Deleted Account

There are many things that affect our BG - food, alcohol, drugs, exercise, stress, illness, time of day/year, weather, ...
On top of that, our meters are not 100% correct - we may have something on our finger, the strips may be out of date, the meter may be having a funny turn.

I try not to make any conclusions based on a singe unusual reading. I wait for a trend,

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are many things that affect our BG - food, alcohol, drugs, exercise, stress, illness, time of day/year, weather, ...
On top of that, our meters are not 100% correct - we may have something on our finger, the strips may be out of date, the meter may be having a funny turn.

I try not to make any conclusions based on a singe unusual reading. I wait for a trend,

I thought maybe its starting to go up again as i havnt took my meds for 4 weeks, but my readings have always been steady

Yday i had 2 toast for breakfast
and 10 chicken dippers at night

soo I dunno the major change where its escalated fro, unless its because i had tomato ketchup.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test before you ate the toast, and if so what was the actual rise? That is what is important when testing out foods. If you started at 9 and went up to 10 that is one thing, but if you started at 5 and went up to 10 that is something totally different.

Which meds were you taking before you stopped? Some meds accumulate in the body and take a while for the effects to disappear.

Chicken dippers? Were they coated in breadcrumbs or similar? Was this your evening meal or a late night snack?

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Firstly, congratulations on the weight loss. That is a fantastic achievement.

The advice above about there being lots of factors involved in an individual spike is correct. This is a bumpy road so you have the ride the ups and the downs. If overall you remain pointing in the right direction then relax.

As you have said yourself, you are (despite your momentous effort) still carrying too much weight and as a consequence your insulin resistance is still likely to be a factor, and not necessarily a stable factor. Maybe try cutting out the bread for a day completely? Could that work for you?

Keep up the great work.