Please Share your tips on how to defeat binge eating, especially junk food!

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
As the title says I'm looking for everyone's opinions and experience on how you have managed your cravings for sweets and junk food.

I'm guilty of doing this often and it really gets frustrating when you know you shouldn't be eating this kinda junk.

We all do it, some more than others but what is your top tip to avoid binge eating as a diabetic.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Aaron.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found when I cut the carbs my starving hungry went in 2 days

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
The goal is to find the highest carb level where the individual will 1) lose or maintain weight and 2) not have cravings which will drive him or her to overeat. These cravings are a very important marker, and almost every low-carb diet book from Atkins to South Beach talks about it. It is one of the most striking features of low-carb diets -- that people no longer find themselves wanting to randomly munch. Being free of those urges is so liberating that it turns people into devoted followers of carb reduction. Other positive signs of eating the correct carb level are increased energy and mental alertness. Also, of course, people who are diabetic or prediabetic can and should monitor how what they eat is affecting their blood glucose.

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1 - cutting carbs and cooking real food from scratch. And since doing this, I've lost my craving for sweet stuff.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a firm believer that the BG roller coaster caused by refined carb consumption is the reason for the bingeing. The extreme highs and lows drive the hunger for more. The answer is very simple, yet can be very hard to do. Just eat real food.

Making a resolution or contract with yourself, having a brutal clear out of all the junk in the house and then refusing to buy more to bring into the house goes a long way. If you do eat it, make sure it's outside of your usual comfort zone, try and keep the environments where you spend the most time as junk food free as possible.

As with any other bingeing behaviour, the answer is abstinence, IMO. Not abstinence from all food, just abstinence from the **** that you know will set you off.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
From your original post I am not sure if you have a problem around food or if you have the occasional craving that hard to deal with.

I have been a life long food addict. Now I am not sure if food addict is quite the right term but at the moment I can't think of a better one. For most of my life I have been unable to control my bingeing but I have never been anorexic or tried to self harm, I have just had a terrible time trying to control what I know is doing me no good. I used food for all the wrong reasons and it's taken me until now (I am 61) to realise it's only food and overeating won't solve a **** thing. I won't go into details suffice it to say that I have bought truckloads of Easter eggs in my time only a small amount of which have ever reached my kids. ;)

These days I don't binge at all. Now that is a huge statement but true. My diabetes was undoubtedly, at least in part but a large part, caused by my uncontrolled eating habits. I know that some diabetics are this way through no fault of their own but mine was all my own work. No-one in my family was ever diabetic...no-one at all.

So when I was diagnosed with diabetes I realised I had to change big time. Like others on here, I lowish carb. I find that protein and a lot of veg help to keep me full and quite honestly it's been a long time since I was hungry. If that feeling of 'If I don't have this I will go mad' hits me now I will deflect or distract. I mean I would find something else to do. A good fast walk used to be good but my exercise options are a less now due to various physical restrictions. Still, I would recommend exercise, fast and vigorous if you can. Get away from the craving, don't choose to bake or cook anything on the days you know you will go overboard, stay out of the kitchen if it's a problem area for you. Grit your teeth and drive past Macca's or whatever is your poison. Turn up the music loud in the car and SING until you are past! In short do whatever you need to do dump the craving that is ruining your life. I do know that sometimes a celery stick just doesn't cut it and I know that there are some who can only eat one or two squares of dark chocolate but that is a way too dangerous place for me :) Look in the Recipes section on here. there are a lot of recipes for a sweet or savoury tooth that is low carb.

Identify the places and times when you find it hard to resist what you crave and make alternative plans. Planning will save you most of the time but there will be times when you get it wrong but I truly believe the saying that falling over isn't failure, it's not getting up and trying again that's failure. At first you might fall a lot but it gradually gets easier and one day you will find that you don't do it anymore, that you are in charge.

Good Luck and I know that this is a bit rambley but I hope it's is of some help. :happy:

Reactions: 10 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I do three things

1 - I 100% agree with the others that a LCHF diet suppresses the appetite for snacking and bingeing. Before diagnosis, I was mad for carbs and my cravings were so strong, I felt completely out of control. When I changed to LCHF it was like a switch had been turned off in my head and I am a lot calmer around food. My palate has also changed.

2 - I think about complications. No food is worth losing my sight for.

3 - I think about my dietician. She would just love it if I chowed down on a trough of carbs. I am on a mission to prove that woman wrong! :p

Good luck, Aaron :)

Reactions: 16 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all of the above, particularly the bit about buying Easter Eggs which never got as far as my kids! This year I have given them money to buy their own. When you have slipped up, try to find a way of stopping yourself doing the same thing next time. (Not as easy as it sounds I have taken 27 years to suss out this one!)

A few weeks ago I was reading about the film '12 years a slave' and thinking how awful and very wrong slavery was. It was a way of using and making money from people. Then I thought about my Mum who was born in 1918 and on her 14th birthday was sent to live and work as a servant., not a slave, but rich people using her and sapping the life out of her. Then I thought about big companies today producing junk food and sapping the life out of me and decided I didn't want to be a slave to them anymore. The brightly coloured packs in the supermarket are there to lure us in. They put me off now rather than entice me. I hope it stays that way.

I know for some people having just 'a little' of something works for them. It doesn't for me, I need to keep well away from junk or it gets a hold on me again. The 3 things mentioned by avocado S above are ones I use too.

Good luck with finding whatever helps you

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just don't buy it in the first place then your not tempted to eat, difficult if you don't live alone but you don't need to eat cakes and biscuits of any description.

Mushroom

I do three things

1 - I 100% agree with the others that a LCHF diet suppresses the appetite for snacking and bingeing. Before diagnosis, I was mad for carbs and my cravings were so strong, I felt completely out of control. When I changed to LCHF it was like a switch had been turned off in my head and I am a lot calmer around food. My palate has also changed.

2 - I think about complications. No food is worth losing my sight for.

3 - I think about my dietician. She would just love it if I chowed down on a trough of carbs. I am on a mission to prove that woman wrong! :p

Good luck, Aaron :)
Agree - LCHF calms the cravings. You would need to try really hard to want to binge.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember I'm diabetic and I'm trading carbs for my eye sight and limbs. Kinda works and kills any cravings!

Smidge

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
put a lock on the cupboards and the key in a time safe

K

Kat100

From your original post I am not sure if you have a problem around food or if you have the occasional craving that hard to deal with.

I have been a life long food addict. Now I am not sure if food addict is quite the right term but at the moment I can't think of a better one. For most of my life I have been unable to control my bingeing but I have never been anorexic or tried to self harm, I have just had a terrible time trying to control what I know is doing me no good. I used food for all the wrong reasons and it's taken me until now (I am 61) to realise it's only food and overeating won't solve a **** thing. I won't go into details suffice it to say that I have bought truckloads of Easter eggs in my time only a small amount of which have ever reached my kids. ;)

These days I don't binge at all. Now that is a huge statement but true. My diabetes was undoubtedly, at least in part but a large part, caused by my uncontrolled eating habits. I know that some diabetics are this way through no fault of their own but mine was all my own work. No-one in my family was ever diabetic...no-one at all.

So when I was diagnosed with diabetes I realised I had to change big time. Like others on here, I lowish carb. I find that protein and a lot of veg help to keep me full and quite honestly it's been a long time since I was hungry. If that feeling of 'If I don't have this I will go mad' hits me now I will deflect or distract. I mean I would find something else to do. A good fast walk used to be good but my exercise options are a less now due to various physical restrictions. Still, I would recommend exercise, fast and vigorous if you can. Get away from the craving, don't choose to bake or cook anything on the days you know you will go overboard, stay out of the kitchen if it's a problem area for you. Grit your teeth and drive past Macca's or whatever is your poison. Turn up the music loud in the car and SING until you are past! In short do whatever you need to do dump the craving that is ruining your life. I do know that sometimes a celery stick just doesn't cut it and I know that there are some who can only eat one or two squares of dark chocolate but that is a way too dangerous place for me :) Look in the Recipes section on here. there are a lot of recipes for a sweet or savoury tooth that is low carb.

Identify the places and times when you find it hard to resist what you crave and make alternative plans. Planning will save you most of the time but there will be times when you get it wrong but I truly believe the saying that falling over isn't failure, it's not getting up and trying again that's failure. At first you might fall a lot but it gradually gets easier and one day you will find that you don't do it anymore, that you are in charge.

Good Luck and I know that this is a bit rambley but I hope it's is of some help. :happy:
Yes popsy it's a great post, sounds like you have had to cope with a lot at times, but have managed to stay strong :)
If you are saying stay out of the kitchen then I am with you on that, can that include the cleaning of it as well !!!!
I do wonder sometimes if we traced our family tree ( and that's a big job) would we find more evidence of links to our health problems which we have to cope with today...?
I don't think you should ever blame yourself ......so many causes that we still don't know about :/
Great words "we are in charge" great to remind ourselves of that at times....thanks ....Kat x

Sjx83

As the title says I'm looking for everyone's opinions and experience on how you have managed your cravings for sweets and junk food.

I'm guilty of doing this often and it really gets frustrating when you know you shouldn't be eating this kinda junk.

We all do it, some more than others but what is your top tip to avoid binge eating as a diabetic.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Aaron.

Hi

I have not been diabetic long myself and is still trying to work this out.

My approach to stop binge has been to increase my fibre but reduce carbs so porridge and rye and nuts and seeds all on the menu. If your full you will at least not eat as much when craving and more fibre and water will make you full.

Have replacement sweat thing you can eat like sugar free jelly and nuts. Where are you when you are craving food home or out if your out carry food with you ( it boring and annoying but it is usually better than something you search for at the last minute when Hungry) and finally never say never the more you say no the more you mind wants that item so trying think I will have this for now and that tomorrow and then keep putting yourself off.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
LCHF, don't buy stuff which is bad for me and if Peckish grab handful of nuts or a piece of cheese.

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Just bumping this thread to try and get more involved and get more answers.
Thanks to you who have replied already :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I sent that message before I finished it. Many of us, though not all, have found this a very useful diet. I started with cutting out all bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and sugar. I ate everything else. Fats fill you up better than carbs and don't play havoc with your blood glucose levels.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LCHF/ketogenic eating also worked for me. I used to binge regularly on sweet food, especially chocolate, but I haven't now for a year. I know a year might not seem that long to some people but it is amazing for me!!

My carb levels daily are approximately 30g or less, which works for me.

I also avoid most sweeteners as I have found that they tend to increase my appetite and leave me wanting even more sweet stuff. However I have found that Stevia seems to be ok for me in small quantities.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Thank you too everyone for answering so far. I am not just asking this question because of my own problems with binge eating and control of my sugars, I intend to use all your feedback to write an in depth article on the subject that will help others with the same problem.

Please do keep the suggestions and comments coming.

Thanks again.

Aaron.