Poor info

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A friend of mine went on a short t2d course last year. His tutor told him, in essence to eat what he liked but only eat smaller portions. He was not very clear about what is meant by a smaller portion but he has certainly embraced the "eat what you like" part. His wife is far more knowledgeable and has picked up that this is not good information. But trying to convince him is impossible.
He was also told the dreaded "not to test" and even tho he has a meter he will not do it. His eyesight is not good and his last retinopathy showed minor changes.
He is a very intelligent man, but because several hcp's have given him the same info he refuses to look at anything else.

Any ideas? How to convince him, at the very least to test? I think if he starts testing he might see that eating what you like is not a good idea. But even that is problematic, cos he was told to keep it around 8ish. But baby steps.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend of mine went on a short t2d course last year. His tutor told him, in essence to eat what he liked but only eat smaller portions. He was not very clear about what is meant by a smaller portion but he has certainly embraced the "eat what you like" part. His wife is far more knowledgeable and has picked up that this is not good information. But trying to convince him is impossible.
He was also told the dreaded "not to test" and even tho he has a meter he will not do it. His eyesight is not good and his last retinopathy showed minor changes.
He is a very intelligent man, but because several hcp's have given him the same info he refuses to look at anything else.

Any ideas? How to convince him, at the very least to test? I think if he starts testing he might see that eating what you like is not a good idea. But even that is problematic, cos he was told to keep it around 8ish. But baby steps.
OMG

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does you friend know you are Diabetic? If so would he accept a challenge?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid this is the norm, not the exception. It is basically the NHS Eatwell Plate and is not far removed from what I was told. Much depends on the type of T2 course and who is running it, and that depends on the surgery/local commissioning group directives/ and what is available in the area. The X-Pert course is more enlightened and does cover low carb with extra fats in addition to other diets.

On diagnosis I was given a very glossy NHS magazine with pictures of the Eatwell Plate. I was told I could eat anything I liked in moderation as long as it was low fat and easy on the sugar. Moderation being portion size, not frequency. The only bit I remember about portion size was protein, which was about the same size on a plate as a clenched fist. Jacket spuds featured heavily, as did baked beans, as did fortified breakfast cereals. I went away with the magazine, no medication, and was absolutely delighted! I'd never had much of a sweet tooth so cutting down on sugary stuff was easy. I already ate breakfast cereals, wholemeal bread, baked beans and jacket spuds. I needed to change very little. I was not at any time told that carbs were the reason for raised BS levels. But for this forum and learning to eat to my meter I am convinced I would be on shed loads of meds by now, and probably insulin.

I am afraid there are many, many T2s out there exactly the same as your friend.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all. Don't know the name of the group, but he is absolutely convinced of its rightness!!
Don't really know what to say to him. I have given him this forums address, so he might look it up. But I think he sees anyone who is not employed by the NHS as just out to make money or a quack.
The course was only last year. So terrifying to think that people are being told such rubbish. It is killing us.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If he is determined to go down a particular path then there is little any one can do about it.

Sad but true until doctors stop giving irrational advise unfortunately there are those who will follow blindly what they are told and rush headlong into disaster.